**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 30 May 2007

A Health Policy Made From Girders



Thank God for the Scots! I never thought I'd write those words but our Pictish brothers and sisters have shone a laser beam through the hitherto impenetrable blackness created by those old chums of mine, the health Nazis.
The control freakery which is New Labour has dictated that each of our northern cousins, like us southern types, has to be constantly surrounded by four Whitehall civil servants at any one time (yes, I fear there are four of them for every one of us) who should follow them around all day, yelling in their ears "Do this! Stop that! Drink this! Stub that out! Jog, damn you, jog! Don't eat that! That's bad for you. Don't enjoy yourself!"
Well, in the land of the fried Mars bar, one jolly Scots cove is proverbially sticking two fingers up to the Department of Health - the department with the entirely appropriate acronmym Doh!! - by producing and marketing......Irn-Bru sausages!! Hurrah!! Good for him, I say.
This should be the start of a trend, I think. Chocolate Ryvitas? Whisky-laced muesli? Guinness yogurt? Nicotine-saturated Highland Spring Water? Monosodium glutamate-packed fruit?
I would take this a step further and have all these pioneering comestibles researched, produced and marketed by a new Government quango, a sort of McDepartment - The Foundation for the Unfettered Choice to Kill Ourselves For Fun, perhaps? Otherwise known as FUCKOFF!!

I, for one, shall be stocking up on Irn-Bru sausages, if only to help make them a success and proverbially ram one up the sphincter of the maniacal mandarins.
Health foods can go to Grantham.

2 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Reg, old thing, if I were you I would eat the mandarin instead of the sausage. I am not one for forcing my vegetarian lifestyle on others, but I do find myself a little concerned about your ire. It won't do you any good, you know. Have a nice bowl of lentils, and see if you don't feel more peaceful.

Barry Lawrence said...

Sweet Jesus, Vicus! Not only are you from Leicester (where they eat their young), you are a bleedin' veggie as well!!!
Anything else you want to let slip? You're not, by any chance, a born-again "Keerishchun", are you?You don't spend your Saturday nights sitting around, cross-legged, with others of that ilk, listening to the Spinners and being complicated, do you?

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".