**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 12 May 2007

A Night To Remember (As They Said When The Titanic Went Down).


Triumphant Serbian Marija Serifovic and "the girls" who brought us "Prayer" - as in, "let's fucking pray they don't win."

Oh............what...........a..........fucking.........MAGICAL night!!!!
The 2007 Eurovision Song Contest lived up to all expectations last night! Beamed live from the home of last year's winners, Finland, it made redefinition of the word "kitsch" essential.
For the record, this year's winners were Serbia, who were fronted by a fat woman-in-comfortable-shoes who looked like a cross between Lou Costello and Peter Lorre.
She was backed by a gaggle of under-fed, frustrated fluffies and their haunting (well, it scared the shit out of me!) ballad "I've lanced the cat's piles and put another carrot on the barbecue" wowed our continental cousins.
Anyone with half a brain and who lives in the UK knows, however, that it's not the winning that's important - it's the getting "nil points". We also want to see the very worst that is on offer abroad, to see loads of scantily clad bits of totty proving just why they are beauticians by day and not professional singers and to understand exactly why Herr A. Hitler felt the need to stamp his nation's jackboot across Europe.
Last night did all that, and more. We were, as ever, superbly appalling. Dressed as stewardesses (which is not altogether a bad thing), UK entry Scooch really put the "cunt" in "our country". No, the winners should have been either Ukraine or France, two acts whose videos are no doubt shown to asylum inmates to perk them up and let them know that their condition isn't really that bad. There was also one cove, however, who turned up in a blood-stained Harry Hill shirt. I can't remember where he was from (somewhere in the Balkans I think) but this man definitely needed a contract - well, one taken out on him, at any rate
One highlight was undoubtedly when the singing stopped (hurrah!) and Father Christmas came on stage to announce that it was time to vote. As if things hadn't been exciting enough! It was strange to see the beardy-man-in-red in fucking May - you would have thought they could have let him have his usual lie-in until his "busy period" - but I suppose the Finns do lay claim to Lapland. It was, however, more than a disappointment to learn that the REAL Santa looked like an aged Fred Scuttle but I let that pass and was on the edge of my commode when he gave everyone their marching orders with a leering "Europe! Start voting now!!"
There was even better, however, to come - the interval (double hurrah!) and the Finns' idea of entertainment. No quick number from Russ Abbott. No bloke knocking out songs from the shows on the spoons. No, this was truly unbelievable. It started with some seemingly buck-naked, baldy sausage jockey in the balloon from The Prisoner backed by half-naked, leathery/skinny bints from the Finnish National Ballet. They pranced around moodily while the boy in the bubble peered out at us menacingly until the performance turned a tad thrash metal, but with Quo wannabes. A baseball referee then proceeded to juggle a tart in a rah-rah skirt (the tart, not the juggler) and, at long last, balloon man escaped his rubbery surroundings and then shoved a flourescent tube down his throat - well, you would, wouldn't you? A trapeze artist and a guy on a suspended bike flying round the theatre were next. Still no sign of Russ or the man with the spoons, though. Then came fire jugglers while the Night of The Living Dead head-bangers, led by a Tommy Lee look-alike, bashed the fuck out of cellos in the background. Together they were called "Apocalyptica". Not 'arf! Time for a quick change of incontinence pad and then back for more fun before the results.
Backstage there was a pink fairy who interviewed everyone and thought she was funny. She was, in fact, just a fucking twat. Name me one great Finnish stand-up comic? "Do you kiss a rabbit or have some other way of ensuring luck?" she asked the fat Serbian dyke who would eventually go on to win the contest. "Our song is about prayer," she retored snottily, "so, urrm, no."
Then the true highlight - the results of the voting. Just time for a third bottle of wine and then let battle commence. Eurovision voting always makes the actions of Robert Maxwell seem genuinely straight. The organisers set out their stall early on. All the western nations were on the right of the voting board while the former Easter bloc countries were on the left - just like the good old days! The Commies stuck together like sperm in the bath while us westerners did our best to either remember old hatreds or bum up to those nearest to us - Norway for Sweden, Sweden for Norway, Sweden for Finland etc, etc (even though Sweden hadn't qualified for the final! Yes, this international wankfest featured only the BEST acts. Some had, apparently, been judged too shite even for Eurovision!)
The French and La Belge were the only tossers to give their results in French. All the others fell into line and chose the language of the one true and holy nation on earth.
"How exciting iz zis?" ejaculated (literally) the hermaphrodite presenter. About as exciting as having your ears syringed Sven, actually, but never mind. Almost half way through and we were doing well. Only us, Ireland and Latvia had the coveted "nil points". Then fucking Albania ruined it for Ireland with five bastard points and for Latvia with a poxy "deux points", all awarded by an evident child molester in Tirana.
This had to be it, surely? This time? Come on! Come, fucking, on!!!! The only nation in the whole of Eurovisionland with "nil points", zero, nothing, fuck all! We were well over half-way and still in pole position. It was nerve jangling. I almost sat upright on the settee and dropped my chips at one point.
Then, gag of the night. Jason, the Israeli points presenter, came up with the most hilarious joke since us British invented concentration camps. "Yes, good evening Helsinki. I can tell you that our votes are ready. Israel HAS pushed the button." I dived behind the settee and put a pillow over my head but he was being sarcastic, it turned out.
Not even the Square Heads ruined things for us when it was their turn. They do it at football and in the international aggression stakes so why not at Eurovision? But no, the Germans left us alone. Just 14 countries left to vote. It had to be. Yes, this time we were going to do it. It was our year................ Then it happened. Fucking Ireland! I thought we were supposed to all be friends now? The bastards went and gave us seven points!! Wankers!!!

Ooch! Scooch fail to fly the zero flag.


I know they traditionally vote for us and we vote for them because everyone else in the world hates us both but come on! Not last night, please! That really is awful timing. We, on the other hand, were typically British and did the decent thing - we didn't fucking vote for them! We knew they too had been in with a chance of the magic zero. Thanks a bunch, Patrick. Time for us all to dig up our weapons again, I think.
It got worse. Malta were next up, the George Cross island. They were mad enough to put us top of the pile and give us the maximum twelve points! You are fucking kidding? I actually wished at that point that the Germans had won the fucking war and COMPLETELY flattened the bastard place!
My interest completely waned after that. We were officially crap, but not spectacularly and uniquely crap, in Eurovision terms. In real terms? Well, we had only managed to come joint second from last (equal with the Frogs on 19 points - well, maybe there IS a God) and not to achieve the Holy Grail - bugger all!. The only consolation was that the bastard Irish came bottom with five.Well, that's it for another year. I'm exhausted. As I said earlier - what a night. Grantham shall not have Eurovision.

NOTE:
I started taking notes on some of the acts but then fell asleep. Here are the few critiques I managed before narcolepsy overwhelmed me;
Bosnia Herzegovena - woman in green, fluorescent, frilly lamp shade.
Spain - limp-wristed boys and girls looking forward to a sexless night, all dressed in white.
Belarus - see Spain, only this time in black (that's originality for you).
Ireland - scratch pub band.
Finland - lead singer filthy but tone deaf.
Macedonia - had apparently just woken up and rushed to the theatre.
Slovenia - did an opera/Kate Bush number. Shite!
Hungary - had hijacked Lulu for the night, backed by a bunch of hairy twats.
Lithuania - another leather job.

As R F Scott wrote in his diary, "it seems a pity, but I do not think I can write any more."

12 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

I am very, very disappointed with you. I only read the first line of this. You, of all people.

Barry Lawrence said...

Vicus,

It's genius. It makes one of Thatcher's rants seem serious.
PS. You do realise that we are the only two people this side of the Atlantic sad enough to be awake at this time and blogging?

Geoff said...

But don't you think the Scooch song was a comment on all the flag wavers in the crowd? They were all "flying the flag".

And if Malta can be grateful for the hoardes of British tourists flying into their country, why can't Spain, Greece, Cyprus and Turkey?

Barry Lawrence said...

Geoff,

Interesting points - and well argued. However, as Partridge said, "you're wrong".
Scooch was a comment on what it's like to be a tone deaf wanker in a steward/stewardess outfit and I think it is precisely because we send our Union Jack-shorted finest on holiday to Greece, Turkey, Spain etc that they don't vote for us.

Betty said...

What a dirge the winner was. I think people are taking the songs on Eurovision a bit too seriously. God forbid that the "real music" brigade should elbow their way into it.

Being half Serbian, I'm keeping a low profile at the moment. Not all of us look like an amalgamation of Lou Costello and Peter Lorre, by the way (well ... hopefully not).

Barry Lawrence said...

Hi Betty,

You are, of course, correct. Some people take it VERY seriously. One blog in particular - but I think that is a gay thing, like Judy Garland. You may have gathered that, for me, it's the equivalent of a night in watching Monty Python. It is the total awfullness of it all that is appealing. Sort of schadenfreude.
You mentioned you dad before. A partisan, as I recall. Nowt to be ashamed of there. Sing it from the rooftops (second thoughts, in light of the winners, don't. Just remind people quietly).
P.S. I'm sure you don't look like HER. No-one outside a laboratory looks like her.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it sickening to see the Belgiums sucking up to the French by voting in their snivellingly nasal excuse for a language? Half of Belgium hates the Frogs (even more than any sensibly-minded Brit does) and refuses to speak it.

Nice write-up, by the way. It really conveys very well the pathetic futility of the entire evening's exercise. I'm glad I missed it. Talk about low-brow, narcissistic devotion to the inane. To call this lot "mindless" would be to miss an ideal opportunity to use words like "vacuous", "abhorrent" and "shite".

What a fucking continent. It amazes me that there's actually at least three others that are as bad or worse.

BGT

Anonymous said...

The wankers at Auntie decided that Dr Who should be postponed and make way for that pile of horse shit.
If I paid a license fee, I'd complain to Points Of View.

Great blog, by the way...

Love
Big Ears

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Anonymous,

BGT, why don't you just sign your name. I can spot your bile a mile off! All totally correct, by the way.

Big Ears,

As I told you, when I created you, you are a deeply, deeply, deeply sad individual. Red Army!

Anonymous said...

I do sign my name, don't I? Or at least, my allocated initials. I can assure you I never comment on here without adding "BGT" at the end. I got fed up of you blaming me for stuff I hadn't written.

(BGT)

Barry Lawrence said...

Is that you, Billy? (joke! Albeit a lame one). Go to bed!

Anonymous said...

Moi? Sad??

That's rich coming from a man who buys hedgehog boxes that are used only by rats, butterfly hammocks that get invaded by wasps and Charlie Dimmock posters...

Love,
Big Ears.

PS: Dickie Dosh's barmy army!!

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".