**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 26 May 2007

Heron Scare 'Em


Fucking Hell!!! I don't sodding well believe it!!! Talk about it never rains, only pours!!!!
I spent last night mourning the passing of Reg, my lobster, and I woke up this morning to find that the fucking, bastard, wanky, shit-for-brains, twat heron has gone and eaten half the fish in my pond!!!
I seem to vaguely recall sending God to Grantham last night so, no doubt, The Vengeful One decided to point his giant index finger out of the clouds and down at Pither Towers at dawn today. Bollocks to you, do you hear? I'm still going, I'm still alive....................but give me a fucking break, eh?

That fucking heron has had it away with four koi carp, each one not only dearly loved but also weighing in at an obscene £30, and a ruck of hefty comets and shebunkins I nurtured for years in an indoor tank before giving them their freedom. Even worse than that, I can't find head nor tail of either Doug or Dinsdale, my two sturgeons. Admittedly, they weren't the sharpest tools in the box and made me look hyperactive but, being bottom dwellers, I thought they would of least have had the sense to lie low while that greedy, murdering monster was dipping its beak! I hope the bastard bird is so fucking stuffed it can no longer fly and spends a miserable day shitting itself into Hades!
I've tried everything possible to keep these fucking herons away from my lads. First off, I bought a net to throw over the surface. Not only did it look awful, one of my dogs decided to have a dip one day and almost drowned after getting tangled up in the mesh.
Plan B was to buy a plastic heron and put it pondside.
The theory was that herons are territorial and so, if they see another heron at a potential feeding site, they think to themselves "Come away Harry, it's not worth it. I don't need the hassle at my age. I'll just flap on somewhere else." What happened? Turns out that theory is an utter loads of bollocks! Instead of avoiding any competition, the sodding things were looking down and saying "Fuck me! One of our lads is down at that ramshackled old place. Must be some grub in there. 'Scuse me mate, mind if I join you?" I had herons coming from all over the fucking place to dine. My beautiful water feature became the Feathered Marco Pierre White's of Small Town.
Plan C was the one in use until this morning. I rigged up little struts all around the edge of the pond and strung two lengths of wire around them, one just three inches off the ground, the other about 10 inches. The theory behind this bit of handiwork was that herons, if they can't fly directly onto and land on the water, wade in from the edge. They will not step over an obstacle, particularly one 10 inches high, and cannot get under anything just three inches off the ground. Well, looks like I've either been raided by the Sergei Bubka of the heron world or a fucking limbo dancing gannet!!
Right, this time things are going to be different. The tripwire can go in the greenhouse and I'm moving on to Plan D - but this is going to cause ructions among some inhabitants of The Towers. I'm going to leave the conservatory door open all night and get the dogs to sleep in there. If anything so much as flutters down for a nosey they'll 'ave it!
There are, however, two downsides to this masterplan. Firstly, I have let the dogs have the run of the garden on hot, summer nights in the past and they spent their time killing mice and bringing them indoors. I happen to like mice and don't want to inflict my crew on them, but needs must. Also, three of the dogs usually sleep on/in the bed with me while the big lad, Pad, has his "special place" half-way up the stairs. They won't take kindly to being ejected from the Comfydown Majorette and associated quilt and pillows or from their "special place" but tough titty, they'll get used to it.!!
Fancy having a go now, Harry? What with six stone of alsatian on the loose with three of his mates, all with serious attitude problems when it comes to trespassers?
In the meantime, herons can go to Grantham.

2 comments:

Doris said...

Herons gotta eat, Reg. Think of the all the baby herons, hungrily waiting for mummy to regurgitate a load of your expensive koi carp down their gullets! Actually, no, don't think of that, it will only upset you.

Barry Lawrence said...

Doris,

If the ickle-wickle, baby-wabey herons wanted some food they should just have come and fucking asked!! God knows, the bloody sparrows, blue tits, blackbirds and finches do pretty bloody well out of me. It's the burglary approach which sticks in my throat, as, indeed, I hope my fish do in theirs.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".