**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 29 July 2007

Dib, Dib, Dib.....Knob, Knob, Knob


"....Unt aftervards vee shall play at ze pinging-ponging unt zen shtick our vinky-wurts up each uzzers bottoms."


Wherever you look there is a sea of canvas. Camp fires are burning from Brixton to Baghdad, the khaki hordes are massing and, when dusk descends, that terrifying war cry fills the air................."ging, gang, gooly-gooly-gooly-gooly, watcha, ging, gang, goo....".


Yes, it's 100 years since no-one apparently batted an eyelid when closet homosexual Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell announced "I'm taking all these little boys away for the weekend and girls can't come".
Baden-Powell, the author of the marvellously twin-meaninged Scouting For Boys, first openly camped it up in 1907 on Brownsea Island, off Poole in Dorset, and the scouting movement was born. The centenary of that fateful event is being celebrated, not only in Britain but around the world, so much so that there has been an international run on bangers and beans, the sleeping bag industry is at breaking point and you can't find a ping-pong ball in the shops for love nor money.
Now this is where I have to highlight a slight split in the Pither camp. My brother is a scout leader and sees absolutely nothing wrong in a 53-year-old man donning shorts, playing games with a bunch of boys and then spending the night with them.

"So, tell me, how long have you been an ardent fascist?"................the scout leader asked her.

Me, I find it a tad unhealthy. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying our kid is a paedophile - he most definitely is not, and I'm sure there are two or three other blokes involved in scouting who aren't either, but.......well......just but......really.
Dodgy motives aside, you are still left questioning the mentality of men who like to spend their time away from work in the company of people whose only interests in life are masturbating and collecting football cards (Mrs Pither has just nudged me at this point and said "You're going to get in so much trouble!!")
I think my main problem with the scouts, apart from the fact that I have reached an age where the little bastards have started to help me across the road, is that they are a paramilitary organisation, what with the uniforms, the saluting, the ranks etc. Call me Mr Picky if you like but I think the militarisation of our young people is not an especially good thing. I know it was very popular in the late '30s but I don't see anyone running around celebrating the 70th anniversary of the Hitler Youth (except for Steve Cornell, a bloke I used to work with) - and there's a good reason for that.
You see, Baden-Powell had a couple of teensy issues when it came to being a role model for our children, namely he was a racist and a fascist who greatly admired Hitler and Mussolini. Would you buy a second-hand tent off a man like that?
It has often been argued, and I happen to agree, that all BP wanted to do with the scouts (when he wasn't buggering them rigid, that is) was to prepare the nation's youngest of young men for war. Having been a lifelong soldier he kinda liked war and thought it was character building. Me, I'm pretty much against it, what with all the genocide, blood and songs by the likes of Vera Lynn 'n' all.
You may not be surprised to learn that Pither was NOT a scout - or a cub or a badger or a Venezuelan tree vole or whatever they call members of the uber-youth wing. Learning to set fires and handle a knife were not high on my list of priorities when I was alive, although teenagers of today seem pretty keen on them, scouts or no scouts! I think I found it all a bit.......a bit........well, silly, really.
Now in my dotage I still can't see the scouts as harmless, although I have to admit to a great fondness for curvaceous, 40-something-year-old women bursting out of guides uniforms.

Now that DOES make me want to play tents!

Then again, that particular weakness of mine is in no way driven by a desire to see mid-life maidens learn all about field craft (well, not THAT kind of field craft).
No, to sum up, the scouts are a paramilitary organisation, dreamed up by a Nazi-loving racist and run by strange men short on long trousers and a proper social life. They've got to go.

2 comments:

Arabella said...

In may 'umble opinion, you have excelled yourself Pither.
I was a Girl Guide for a few weeks and thought I'd like it because, well, it's dressing up! Imagine my disappointment when I discovered it was more enforced rounders. And I knew then what I know now: "I don't do camping".
Funny, that's not how I remember the uniform.....

Barry Lawrence said...

Hi Arabella,

Were you drummed out? Was there some sort of ritual (like on Branded) where they took your woggle off you and cut up your sash?
I'm sooo with you on the camping thing. Enforced discomfort, like enforced rounders, is not for me.
P.S. You mean that's not what they wear? Damn, that's another fantasy gone for a burton.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".