**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 7 July 2007

Pimms And The Post-Modern Woman


I've been to Wimbledon today. Not physically, you understand, just emotionally - courtesy of Mrs Pither.
By way of background, let me say that my Soon-To-Be Ex-Wife went to SW19 on Tuesday with some pals to watch it rain - it's different down there, you know? - and then
she went on to her mother's in Cumbria to watch the said "lady" play in some crunch rugby league match.
After my Soon-To-Be Ex-Mother-In-Law had enjoyed a few arm wrestling sessions with the lads down at the Duck and Gynaecologist after the game and then dubbined her boots she joined Mrs P in a bit of a Wimbledon-fest, watching three solid days of it on TV.
Now the current Mrs Pither is a pretty good tennis player and used to play for her county (I bet you wondered where you'd heard my name before!). Consequently, she LOVES tennis and Wimbledon is to her what Fiesta Readers' Wives is to me. However, being Catholics, she and her mother have to play "the lying game" all the time they are together. This involves Mrs P not drinking or smoking at any time, despite the excitement of the on-court action, so that her mother will think she is neither a drinker nor a smoker. For her part, her mother pretends to revel in her daughter's apparent rejection of the grape, the grain and the weed. The fact that her mother KNOWS she smokes and drinks and that Mrs P KNOWS she KNOWS and her mother, in turn, KNOWS she KNOWS she KNOWS is all part of growing up and being Catholic.
Anyway, the upshot of this temporary abstinence is that, when STB EW returns from a trip to Arthur Mullard's sister's place, I get the brunt of the, shall we say, "slight over-compensation" which follows. I greeted her as she charged through the front door at lunchtime today with a cheery "Hello dear, had a nice time?", only to be barged aside as she ran to the fridge muttering "I need a sodding drink!!"
I left her to top up her levels for a while and then, late this afternoon, having fixed the central heating, I decided to have a soak in the bath. Unbeknown to me, as I relaxed in the water, looking down on the unemployed, Mrs P cracked open a large bottle of her favourite Wimbledon-time tipple - Pimms. The advert jollily proclaims that, whatever the time is, it's Pimms O'clock. Well, to me, Pimms O'clock coincides exactly with the time that Hell freezes over and I cease to have a hole in my arse! I would rather drink my own gastric juices than have so much as a thimbleful of that muck. Still, STB EW seems to like it and so she got stuck in, watching the ladies singles final.
I was aware of a few whoops, oohs! and "good shots" drifting upstairs from the lounge but there was nothing to get alarmed about and so, when I gathered from all the applause that the final had finished, I nodded off in the bath. I was awoken a while later, however, by Mrs P in full, drunken voice, screaming things like "way to go!!!", and "woohoo!!" and "that's it, smack it!!" It turned out that the ladies singles final had not been the end of play after all. It was apparently followed by the post-op singles final and the hermaphrodites doubles or something.
The result of this extended play was that Mrs P managed to quaff buckets of Pimms and was somewhat loud, tired and emotional by the end. She came up to the bathroom to describe in achingly boring detail how Britain's deputy great white hope and some bloated man-woman creature from the Balkans had made it through to the genuinely mixed up doubles final.
I am now, once again, relaxing owing to the fact that, steamed as she was, STB EW has gone out for the evening. She has taken to fag hagging of late and has gone to the evening do of a civil ceremony for a gay guy we both used to work with. He is a lovely chap, don't get me wrong,
but the thought of standing in a Big City gay bar listening to I Will Survive until 3 in the morning while some bloke criticises the curtains and Mrs P crawls around on her hands and knees imitating a retarded sealion fills me with dread so I am having a quiet night in.
Ho hum. What to send? Well, Pimms can go to Grantham for a start and I might as well send the after effects of the tennis at Wimbledon there as well because I am fearing the worst when the wee small hours roll around.

3 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Mrs S. and I had a quiet night in, watched a film and the latest episode of a detective series. Not just tonight, but every night for the last 20 years. I am not aware of any gay bars in my village. There may be one somewhere in North East Hampshire, where butch soldiers dress up to enact a Jane Austen novel, but I could not say for sure.

Barry Lawrence said...

Vicus,

Mrs P informed me that she was the only XX-chromosomed type in the whole club (I use those words advisedly) so I think you, me and Mrs S chose the best option.
P.S. Have you got insomnia as well?

Vicus Scurra said...

Dunno about "Insomnia" I have got Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park and Sense and Sensibility. I did not know about that title. I have been looking out for the out of print "Sex and Sensuality" and "Shag me till my ears bleed".

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".