**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Monday 16 July 2007

Slap Pending


Every fucking Monday morning I have to take on the persona of Prof Pat Pending. Why? Because my very-soon-to-be ex-wife has invariably used my car over the previous weekend and turned it into the Convert-a-Car!






This morning was no different. I got into the car I lovingly call The Wardrobe (see photo for explanation) at 7am, in good time to get to work. To begin with I thought I had shrunk dramatically in the night as I couldn't reach either the steering wheel or pedals and then it dawned on me that I was almost sitting in the back owing to the fact that VSTB EW had rammed the seat back as far as it would go. Now, Mrs P is not a particularly tall woman. In fact she measures little more than 5ft from snout to hoofs. No, she doesn't adjust the seat to drive. She blasts it back as far as it will go each time she gets out of the car. Why, you may well ask? I don't fucking know, is the retort.
After I managed to get the seat back to somewhere near where I could operate the controls I made the mistake of firing up the engine. At that point a wall of sound almost sent me and the driver's seat back to where we had come from. It was the full-volume screaming of some mega-death-thrash-garage-shitemeister and not only did it wake up the neighbours four doors down it began to make my ears bleed. I dived for the volume and hastily turned it down, discovering as I did so that VSTB EW had retuned my beloved Radio 4 to some wankety-wank-wank station no doubt broadcast from some drug addict's tower block flat in Small Town.
Out of curiosity I began flicking around my pre-set channels to see if Radio 2, Radio 3, Five Live, the oldies station, the local BBC programme and a few others I happen to like in the morning were still where they should be. Not only could I not find them, I discovered that every single available station had been retuned to some unheard of Shite FM-style operation which belted out the works of others who were through suffering for their music and had decided it was now our turn.
I then tried to hook my mobile phone up to the charger normally plugged into the cigarette lighter socket but, guess what? The charger was not there (I found it later in the day on the back seat). Mrs P's charger was, however, plugged in and so I ripped it out and, feeling the need for something to stop me going on a gun rampage, I reached for a fag and then felt around in the handbrake well for the cigarette lighter (for that is where I keep it when it's not in use). That too was missing and after a frantic search I found it under the passenger seat!
Having reassembled what I recognised as my car I then drove off but there was still a bit of work for old Pat to do. Firstly, I glanced in my wing mirrors to find that they gave excellent views of both front doors having also been adjusted by the diminutive Mrs P. Secondly, I then discovered that there was fuck all petrol in the car, despite the fact that the tank had been half-full when I last used it on Saturday morning.
My efforts to put the Convert-a-Car back to my liking took about 15 minutes - 15 minutes which took me out of the realms of "a drive through heavy traffic into work" and into "a crawl through the Tokyo rush-hour which makes you late for work".
No, I love my Wardrobe and I like it as it is. Its spells as the Convert-a-Car and mine as Prof Pat can go to Grantham.

4 comments:

Arabella said...

If you already sent self-help books on boundaries to Grantham, now might be the time to recall them.

Barry Lawrence said...

I don't understand that. Which boundaries are we referring to?

Arabella said...

Oh dear. I was thinking how staked-out boundaries in close relationships can go a bit pear shaped when it comes to sharing a car. See today's comment over at my place.
Hope I haven't offended. Sorry, if so!

Barry Lawrence said...

Phew!
I thought it might be a reference to the headline and you had me down as some sort of wife beater.
If we ever had one, STB EW would kill me in a fight. X

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".