**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Monday 30 July 2007

In Which Pither Goes To Casualty


I've got a new name for my greenhouse.
It used to be called, somewhat unimaginatively, "the greenhouse". It is now and shall henceforth, however, be known as "the fucking, bastard greenhouse".
I chose this new name at around 8.10 last night, shortly after I had watered my sole surviving marrow plant. Still carrying two watering cans, I turned to walk out, caught my toe on the bottom lip of the door frame and went crashing to the ground. I was unable to break my fall, my hands being full, and the slabbed patio did not provide a really comfortable landing.
I remember murmuring an expression of mild disappointment at my clumsiness and there was also, I recall, just the faintest exclamation of discomfort as pain shot through my body. "You ok, Reg?", shouted the next-door-but-one neighbour from his garden. At that point, my very-soon-to-be ex-wife came charging out to find that I had flattened the water butt and was lying on top of the watering cans, my head half an inch from the garage wall.
The pain, which centred on my left knee and shot right up my thigh, was intense but I was, of course, a brave little soldier and hardly made any fuss whatsoever, particularly when the diminutive Mrs P somehow managed to half carry my 16-stone frame up to bed and then administer emergency first aid in the form of a bag of frozen peas applied to my knee.

I dosed up on pain killers and spent a night without sleep, hoping that everything would be all right, or at least not so bad, in the morning............but come dawn my knee had swollen up like a football, the pain was, if anything, worse and I could hardly limp, let alone walk.
So, this afternoon, Mrs P finished work early to come home and take me to casualty. The ordeal lasted four hours - shorter than I had expected - and torn ligaments were diagnosed, a break having been ruled out by an X-ray.
Mrs P left me at one point to rush home and tend to the menagerie and so after I had been strapped up and given a pair of crutches I went outside to await her return. Unfortunately, the pain of standing up began to get to me again and so I attempted to slide down a wall and seat myself on a small ledge at its foot - big mistake! I slipped off, bumped onto the ground and ended up on my ass by a rubbish bin.

I have to admit I was feeling pretty low at that point (literally!) but consoled myself with the thought that things couldn't get much worse. I should have known - never, ever, ever say that to yourself. That was when a drunken woman stumbled over to me, offered me a fag and a swig of her Special Brew (seriously) and promptly sat down beside me to share her challenging views on race, society and her "fookin' ex".
She eventually stood up and shuffled away when VSTB EW drew up to collect me.

So, I am now a uniped. I think my job is safe because I am wirelessly connected at Pither Towers and so can work from home over the next few days but I think my chances of fun or even a holiday - something I had been planning - are bleak at the moment.

Nothing for Grantham and, on that subject, VSTB EW will never get sent. She has been an utter brick today, running around after me and being very caring. In the absence of third parties, then, why are we getting divorced, some might ask? Answers on a postcard, please.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing broken = Very, very MINOR injury.

Puff.

Arabella said...

I don't have an answer to the Big Philosophical Question, But - nice tights!

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Anon,

Thanks for the kind words. I wasn't actually trying to set any kind of record. I would have broken my leg or severed it in some farming equipment if I had known it was going to upset you so much. Sorry.
P.S. The word is "poof". A "puff" is a type of creamed cake or how poofs pronounce poof.

Dear Arabella,

As to the philosophical question, I don't think being an idiot AND only having one leg has improved my chances of a reconciliation.
Thanks for admiring the style. Apparently, all the catwalk queens will be sporting similar next year.

Dear Doris,

(Yes, I know, there is no comment above from the lovely Doris - the Blogger machine chewed it up!!) Our Doris, however, wished me a speedy recovery (thank you) and also admired my "support stocking". I do like it, but the detachable suspenders tend to itch so I don't often wear them.

Vicus Scurra said...

What Doris really said was that the photographs were gratuitous and vomit inducing. The reason that Mrs P is about to send you hopping down the road are plain and hideous to see. Please cover up before you attempt to post again.

Barry Lawrence said...

Thanks Vicus.
More kind words - and I've always found divorce a real rib tickler.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with your right leg, your right leg I like. Its just your left leg I have a problem with, the problem being it's not next to your right leg.

Barry Lawrence said...

So, that's Tarzan out. How about playing Heather Mills or being 50 per cent of Douglas Bader?

Betty said...

I know most accidents happen in the home but honestly - the greenhouse? Lucky that you didn't bring it down with you and ended up being covered in shattered glass (see, it could've been worse). Er, I hope you get better soon, but I should say that white surgical stockings are *so* over for autumn honey. Black is the new black and midi length skirts are a key look according to Vogue.

Barry Lawrence said...

Betty, I am dying my stocking as we speak (and painting the other leg black) and am already on the lookout for a skirt longer than the one I usually "relax" in at weekends.

Arabella said...

You need the Utility Kilt!

Do hope you feel better soon.

Barry Lawrence said...

Thanks Arabella - It's nice to get some genuinely kind words for once. You're a good egg (a good Anglo-Texan egg).

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".