**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 14 January 2007

Cave Canum - The Dingo of Doom.


"You looking at me, pal?"


Awww! How cute. Butter wouldn't melt, eh? Dont' you bloody believe it! Behold, I bring you THE Devil Dog - a licky Lucifer, the canine anti-Christ, a barking Beelzebub.
The photograph above is of one of my dogs, Caty. I actually Christened her Cato, after the martial arts-trained, sudden-attack sidekick of Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther films. Like her big screen namesake, she quickly developed a habit of hiding and then leaping out and attacking you without warning. The name eventually morphed into Caty but all her old bad habits remain and she has nurtured a host of new ones besides.
Caty is a rescue dog. She was dropped off at Pither Towers two years ago by a taxi driver who knew I took in strays and other sad cases (see previous blogs on my relationships with women!). To be honest, I should have smelled a rat on that fateful day. I remember the driver seemed to be in a great hurry. He hastily got the dog out, told me she was six months old and "a kelpie", and, with that, got back into his car, there was a screech of tyres, a loud "vroom" and he was off!
Funny, I thought. I suspected, at the time, that the driver had a rush job on. Now I know why he was anxious to get away while I was still holding the proverbial baby. I thought kelpie was a type of seaweed and so looked the breed up on the internet. My source said a kelpie was an Australian cattle dog, bred specifically by farmers in the Outback to herd and generally help out. So far so good. Then came the bombshell. "The kelpie is a cross between a collie and.........a dingo," it said. A DINGO!!! A BLOODY DINGO!!!!! Oh my God! It was then that I began to realise I might have made a teeny mistakette in agreeing to take her on. The only other snippets of information I can recall from that initial research are that it said kelpies would "use their paws like hands", "herd other pets" and that they had "boundless energy".
Saying Caty is energetic is like saying Keith Moon on acid would not have made an ideal librarian! She has single-handedly trashed Pither Towers since her arrival. To date she has ripped out and chewed up THREE phones, eaten countless shoes, torn the wallpaper off the wall on the landing, noshed on a briefcase, initialled almost every door with a trail of scratch marks, chewed holes in the settee and left more maps of Ireland about the place than there are in the average Eireann Tourist Information shop. Things were bad enough when she was a pup but now she has joined "the terrible twos club" - of which I am sure parents of toddlers are well aware - she has to be at the peak of her destructive powers. Even when she takes a momentary break from her ADD antics to sit right in front of you and attempt to stare you out you can almost hear the mantra going through her mind - "bored, bored, bored, bored, bored!"
Caty's real triumph has been in the back garden. I am very proud of my garden - or rather I was - but this furry atomic bomb's on-going project is to turn it into something resembling The Somme battlefield. My soon-to-be ex-wife's theory is that Caty's obsession with digging is merely a sub-conscious determination to get back down to the land of her fathers. She also races around the lawn and flower beds in ever-decreasing circles, either chasing the other dogs or just her tail. She can stop on a sixpence and then accelerate up to maximum speed in the blinking of an eye which, in dry weather, produces pretty devastating results on the turf and beds. In the sodden winter months her racetrack ravings turn the place into a sea of mud.
I hit on the idea of buying some chickenwire and putting a corale around one particularly badly affected area with a view to keeping her out so that I could re-seed it. Given a break from the tornado toddler the grass would at least get a chance to take hold again, I thought. Did it keep her out? Did it bollocks! It, in fact, made the problem worse!

The Not-So-Ok Corale.

The first time I let her out to be confronted by the chickenwire she looked back briefly in gratitude and delight and proceeded to neatly showjump it about ten times. I could almost hear her: "Thanks dad, this is brill!" Caty sees the corale as an obstacle course and loves to leap over it and back, over and back, over and back, often from just a sitting-start. She also sees it as her den, because the other dogs cannot scale the wire, and so uses it to store all the things which are precious to her - bits of chewed up wood, an artistic collection of dog pooh, old shoes, flowerheads, my hosepipe, stones she has taken a fancy to, the odd tree branch, snail shells and bits of cardboard. That really improves the overall look of the place!
Who will rid me of this turbulent toddler? I have never given up on a rescue dog yet and I don't intend to start now but that won't help to patch up my tattered nerves. I shall have to satisfy myself with some schadenfreude instead. Henceforth, all OTHER dingos shall be sent to Grantham. I would like to think the townsfolk are suffering as much as I am.

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".