**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 24 June 2007

The Day They Knocked Down The Palais


Derek Dougan (Jan 20, 1938 - June 24, 2007).

Derek Dougan is dead!
Who is/was Derek Dougan? Well, for those with less than a passing interest in association football, Alexander Derek Dougan used to play for, among others, Aston Villa and, more famously, Wolverhampton Wanderers, was a former captain of Northern Ireland, a high-profile players' spokesman and latterly a TV pundit.
The Doog, as he was known to legions of fans in his heyday (the '70s), was a tall, lean, fearsome and in his early days skin-headed striker who formed a partnership "up front" at Wolves with a fellow striker by the name of John Richards. Together they scored copiously and The Doog in particular became a central part of Black Country culture in the '70s, along with Slade, Parker coats, "bovver" boots and Brew XI.
I knew The Doog. I spoke to him quite a lot when he started frequenting my then local in the 1980s and, come to think of it, I bumped into him in the village as recently as a week ago last Saturday when he was limping, using a walking stick and complaining that his foot was knackered.
As a cub reporter I once interviewed him at length about a disastrous take-over of Wolves of which he had been the figurehead and the financial clout had been provided by two brothers - the Bhatti brothers. I remember he answered none of the questions, being an expert at changing the subject and bluffing, and so I changed tack and started asking him what he did for a living now that his playing days were over. I still have a tape of that interview (I wasn't confident enough of my shorthand in those days) and I can be heard asking the same question about a dozen times over the course of an hour-long talk. I never got an answer to that seemingly simple question either. The responses were along the lines of "business", "all sorts of things", "a bit of this and a bit of that", "fingers in many pies" and "it's too difficult to explain."
Shortly after that interview he became a figurehead for another financial venture. He was the face of "The Duncan Edwards Appeal", an appeal aimed at building a sports therapy clinic in honour of that more legendary Black Country boy and Manchester United star Duncan Edwards, who died in the Munich air disaster of 1958. After a year or so of operation, the appeal fund's books were examined and it turned out that something like £1.50 had been raised for the new clinic, the remaining thousands which had come from a generous public having gone on "expenses".
In later years, it has to be said, he became a frequently inebriated, loud-mouthed and often aggressive bore who was a little too fond of using his fists, particularly, and headline hittingly, in matters of the heart.
I have never and would never support Wolves. My allegiances lie in the city of lace and Brian Clough. I have many friends, however, to whom The Doog was an idol. Although they are now happily married, middle class businessmen in their 50s, some still have their Parker coats from those heady days of his reign on the pitch, with a bullseye sewn on the back and the words "The Doog" displayed prominently above. While Dougan was no hero of mine, he was an important part of my childhood and has just become yet another large wedge of that particular iceberg to fall off and go crashing into the depths. I now know how one of my REAL heroes, Ray Davies, felt when he sang: "The day they knocked down the Palais, part of my childhood died, just died."
That's the trouble with heroes, you see. You should never meet them - it's always a big disappointment. I live by my journalistic motto on matters such as this, a motto allegedly first attributed to legendary Wild West gunfighter and Marshall Wyatt Earp. When asked, as he lay dying, to tell the truth about what really happened at the notorious Gunfight At The OK Corall he simply replied: "Hang the truth, tell the legend."
So, as The Doog is busy winging his way up or down at the moment and I try hard to concentrate on his legend, not his life, the let downs which come about by meeting your heroes can go to Grantham.

7 comments:

Betty said...

Blimey, this takes me back to early 70's Sunday afternoons being forced to watch Star Soccer. If the match wasn't from the Molineux stadium it would be from the very muddy Baseball Ground. Commentary by Hugh Johns, inept interview with someone afterwards by Billy Wright.

I think John Richards went on to work at Cannock Council, a stone's throw away from my old stomping ground. Interesting insight into The Doog, who my parents always slagged off because they thought he was "big headed" (about the worst crime against humanity in their book).

Anonymous said...

I was witness to one such event from the Doog, my best mate is an avid footie fan. He saw his hero in the pub and wanted to spark up a conversation. So up he went " excuse me please Mr Doogan have you got a light" The Doog " oh can't even afford a light, sonny boy here have a box of matches". Which tossed across the table with a sneer. No sparkling conversation followed, your right don't meet your heroes and certainly don't ever speak to them.

Did I ever tell you I meet......

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Betty,
First of all, hurrah! You're back!! You've never been in Cornwall all this time? Good to have you back, whatever.
Secondly, au contaire! It's you who have taken me back to the '70s. God, do I remember Star Soccer and Hugh Johns. You're right as well. It often came from Molineux but every other week it had to be the Baseball Ground because Johns' underling - Trevor East, I think his name was - was a Derby fan.
Just two hours later, when Stars on Sunday came round, the depression descended. You had the Top Twenty to tape but there was nothing else on the box until you had to go to bed - and then it was school in the morning.

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Anon,

That doesn't surprise me at all. He was, in truth, an ignorant, loud-mouthed, smart-arsed, drunken git in his later years. I am proud to say that I was able to tell him before he died (some years ago now) that he was "a twat".

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

John Richards was the yin to Doog's yan, a well-mannered, honest gent. He had a spell as MD at Wolves with no great success and is now involved in a firm developing turf for sports stadia.
I met Doog a couple of times, most recently for an interview at his home followig the re-release of 'his' book The Sash He Never Wore. He recognised my name as coming from Ulster and turned the charm dial up to 11. Never answered one single bloody question - absolutely fascinating.

Barry Lawrence said...

Yin and yan? Weren't they a comedy duo - or was that Cheech and Chong? Where does yang come in? Was he the least famous of the philosophical Chinese triplets?.
Having said that, I actually think Richards was the yin and Dougan the yam - as in "Yam gooin' ter cross the feckin' ball or what?"

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

I think the comedy duo were Chi Chi and An An.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".