**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 27 June 2007

Step Forward Mr Hank Uberpecker



Hey, tell you what, this globalisation thingy is a bit insidious, isn't it? But does physics dictate that it is our destiny?
I mean, THAT book tells us that in the beginning there was NOTHING. Then, in Stone Age times, we were all regarded as ONE - well, apart from the Welsh! The instinct of mankind, however, has always been to divide and the first easily identifiable act of mitosis followed The Enlightenment when the world supposedly split in TWO with the Renaissance nations peering down their cultural noses at the artistic also-rans who kinda thought finding something to eat was more important than marvelling at Michelangelo's use of colour. Later on we had THREE divisions, with the First and Second Worlds marching onwards and upwards because they had Sky TV and Cillit Bang while the Third World dragged its underdeveloped and starving carcass behind because it was still kinda obsessed with the "finding something to eat" thing.
Still the divisions continued and the next grande fromages on the scene were the FIVE permanent members of the United Nations Security Council - the U.S.A, China, Russia, Britain and France. Since then power has been shared out a little bit and, until this week, the magic number was EIGHT because of the so-called G8 group of the world's most industrialised nations, which were top dogs.
A seismic shift was, however, signalled on Tuesday. I was listening to the wireless when I heard reference to a meeting of members of "The Quartet". This was a new one on me. The FOUR in question, it turned out, constituted the latest uber-powerful group and were the U.S.A (sur-bleeding-prise), Russia, Europe and A.N. Other - China, I think. This IS significant because, for the first time, the all-important number has fallen.
Let's face it, we can all see the day when we will have the Big THREE - the U.S.A, China and Eurasia (yes, Eric Arthur Blair will be proved right). That's just a hop, skip and a jump from the U.S.A being the nation running everything on earth - Christ knows, they're almost there already.
This, you see, is entropy. The expansion has happened and now the contraction is beginning. Eventually, we get back to where we started. Many physicists believe this is what will happen to the universe. Ok, it is still expanding and I think Einstein predicted it would continue to expand (what did he know!) but others think it will reach a maximum size and then start to contract until it returns to the infinitesimally tiny spec from which it burst forth in the first place.
Taking this model as a guide for the future of mankind, the U.S.A will eventually be known as the Big 50+1, which will shrink to the Big Four (New York, Washington D.C, Texas and California), which will become the Big One (California) which will become the Big 20 million, then the Big million, then.......down and down and down until Mr Hank Uberpecker of 231a, Garden Heights, Los Angeles is the ruler of the entire world!
Just wait and see if I'm not right.
I've got a headache now and I want a drink - BUT I CAN'T HAVE ONE!!!!!!

4 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Reg, a truly impressive mixture of politics, physics and metaphysics. All you needed was a dash of humour, and you would have been set for the Nobel prize for literature.
I think you will find, if you study the Vedas, that when the Universe contracts in on itself, the being left is Brahma, the creator, who will then cause the expansion again. It may well be that during Kaliyuga he is embodied as Mr Hank Uberpecker, which might explain why my phlox show no sign of blooming yet, but I will need more convincing.
I hope that this helps

Barry Lawrence said...

Dearest Vicus,

You say Kali, Satya, Treta and Dvapara - I say tomato.
Consider my theory for a moment - Hank Uberpecker ends up running the world. Simple enough? Could 'appen!
Now consider the theory you like - that, at the end of time, we all end up crammed into a Lotus flower in Vishnu's belly button! Interesting, challenging and certainly florid (in more ways than one) but as watertight, scientifically speaking, as a house in Sheffield.
Anyway, if you prove to be right, I won't be with you at the end anyway - I'll be heading down south a little to warmer and moister climes!
If I prove to be right, you can reach me at 231a Garden Heights, Los Angeles. I want to be at the heart of things when the balloon really does go up - you can help me press the button, if you like.
P.S. You're wasting your time with Hinduism - they don't let gingernuts join!

Arabella said...

Put down the Benylin expectorant and back away slowly.

Barry Lawrence said...

Arabella,

You shouldn't have said that - I'd forgotten I'd got some! Come to think of it, there's some anti-freeze in the garage.......

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".