**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Monday 11 June 2007

Some Children Do 'Ave 'Em!


"You look so much younger than the policemen who used to arrest me."

As a very funny man from Bolton once said: "If it's not one thing it's your mother!" Never were truer words spoken.
The OTHER Mrs Pither has been on the phone to me today. She is also a "soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither" but, unlike my spouse-for-not-much-longer, her loss of title will, sooner rather than later, be down to a ruling from the Grim Reaper and not the divorce courts.
The widowed Mrs P, although born and brought up near to Pither Towers, now lives in Devon - although her mind is these days somewhere on the Planet Thwarg in the Galaxy of You Can't Find a Nice Cup of Tea Anywhere.
Pensioner Mrs P has always had a habit of flying off the handle and ranting and raving at all about her - aren't genes funny things? - but today she broke her own British, Commonwealth and Empire record for losing it. She phoned to say that she was enraged at a police officer to whom she had turned for help and advice. My hackles rose instantly in sympathy and so I asked her to explain.
It turns out that a little, apparently stray, dog had parked itself on her doorstep this morning. Being almost as great an animal lover as her Number Two Son, she gathered it up and took it to a lady who lives nearby and who keeps little dogs of the same breed. Then, on her return to Pensioner Towers, she decided - Christ-a-fucking-live knows why!! - to report the finding of the dog to the Feds!
My hackles began to lie flat and beads of sweat broke out on my forehead as the following conversation unfolded:
Mother: "This policeman was incredibly rude to me when I phoned!
Pither: "Well, that's bang out of order. What did he say?"
Mother: "He just said I was wasting his time and that I should ring off."
Pither: "Right, that's it! Bloody coppers! You should report him. What was his name?"
Mother: "I don't know."
Pither: "Did you ask for his badge number?"
Mother: "No."
Pither: "Well, was he at your local police station or another one."
Mother: "I don't know."
Pither: "Ok, ok, ok ma, calm down. What number did you ring?"
Mother: "999."
Pither (somewhat alarmed): "You are bleedin' well jokin', tell me?"
Mother: "No, of course not. That's the number of the police, isn't it?"
Pither: "Has anyone been round to see you with a nice pair of inter-locking bracelets for you to wear?"
The ageing Mrs P then proceeded to rant at me, suspecting me of being in some sinister conspiracy with the police which led me to side with them and against her. I did try to point out the impropriety of dialling 999 to report that you have found a dog and how the number was usually reserved for reporting rape, murder and treason. She would not be pacified. The conversation then got worse:
Mother: "I was so livid I sat and stewed for a while but then I couldn't take it anymore."
Pither: "What did you do?"
Mother: "I phoned back to complain."
Pither: "Please, Holy Mary Mother of God and All the Saints preserve us, I just know I'm going to regret asking this but, what number did you dial this time?"
Mother: "999 again."
Pither: "Fuck......ing.......Hell!!!!"
Mother: "Don't you dare use language like that. I'll tan your bottom for you, young fella'me'lad!"
Pither: "Mother, I'm 46. Speaking of which, may I just offer you some advice gleaned from my experience?"
Mother: "As long as it's not what your brother advised. He said I was a loony!"
Pither: " Well, there is that, but just stay indoors for a few days, close the curtains and if anyone calls at your house, particularly anyone tall, wearing a pointy, blue hat, don't answer the door."
"We're coming in, grandma. Move away from the budgie! MOVE AWAY FROM THE BUDGIE!!!"

I suspect that the national press will seize on this incident and a campaign to Free The Exmouth One will soon be started. Oh dear!
I can hardly send my mother to Grantham, bearing in mind that I am still majorly indebted to her in the life stakes, so I shall send instead blokes who owe you £5 but don't remember borrowing the money (it's a long story).

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".