**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Monday 25 June 2007

Eeeh Bad Gums!

You never quite touch bottom, do you? I mean, you think things can't get any worse but then life surprises you and you discover that you have only actually been probing the sediment -and that goes down quite a way.
Now Pither has, for the last few years at least, been what can best be termed a "bottom dweller". My dive into the sediment, however, hit new depths this afternoon when I visited the dentist's.
My teeth, I am proud to say, are strong and I have never, in fact, had a filling in my 46 years on this and a couple of other planets - and I do visit the dentist regularly. The problem I have is with my gums - yes, it's that old Tommy Cooper gag: "My teeth are fine, it's just my gums have got to come out!"
Well, a week ago my gums started to feel a bit sore and by last night they were red raw and bled if touched (Uuurgh! I know). So, I made an emergency appointment to see my dentist, called in this afternoon and he had a quick firk around to try to find out the cause of my discomfort. I was expecting him to say something like "Ooh look! This little peggy's a bit loose" or "Mr ulcer has set up shop in Toothy Town". No such luck. I should have known it was bad news when he shot backward, stared at me in a "how the Hell are you still alive?" kind of way and then stammered somewhat disbelievingly......"You..you've....you've got Trench Mouth!"
TRENCH MOUTH!!!! Flipping TRENCH MOUTH!!!! I'm only 46!! I've never been to Flanders, let alone shot a German, let alone 70 years ago! How the Hell have I ended up with that?
It turns out that, unlike its fungal brother Trench Foot, Trench Mouth is a bacterial infection brought on by stress, lack of a satisfactory diet and sharing crockery and cutlery with people in the same unhealthy boat. As its name implies, it first gained notoriety during the First World War when cowering in a shit-filled trench with hundreds of others packed alongside and Bally Gerry shelling every minute provided all the basic ingredients for this particularly nasty form of gum rot!
Worse was to come when the dentist said: "We don't normally prescribe antibiotics for gum conditions but they are the only possible cure for Trench Mouth. I hope you don't drink alcohol because you have to take these," upon which he produced a flame red box of tablets from a dusty, top cupboard. "They contain similar chemicals to the ones they sewed into George Best's stomach lining to make him sick if he touched a drop of booze," he added, reassuringly.
Happy days. Not only have I managed to contract a disease thought to have been eradicated 70 years ago, I can't drink for a week!
Trench Mouth can most definitely go to Grantham.

P.S. While waiting for this startling diagnosis, it occurred to me what an awful place a dentist's waiting room is for an adult, childless male. I mean, look at the things designed to take your mind off the agonies to come which were laid out in my dentist's waiting room.





...And when you've finished playing with all that, HE just has to remind you how healthy HE is and so what a grovelling piece of pestulence-ridden filth YOU are.

5 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Welcome to the world of teetotal vegetarianism. You were wrong to struggle against it, weren't you?

Unknown said...

Trench Mouth???

Hmm....well, perahps your gums are 70 years older than the rest of you?

I found you via Vicus. You should go immediately over to his house and give him a HUGE kiss. I know he'd appreciate it.

Geoff said...

George Best lasted over a week.

You can do it, Reg!

Barry Lawrence said...

Vicus,

He said I had to be teetotal. He didn't say anything about taking bites out of cows in fields?
I'd lock your doors, close your curtains and stay inside on Sunday - that's when the booze ban is up and I might just have a celebratory tincture.

Hi Pamela,

Welcome to the personal griefhole which is this blog.
Giving Vicus a Judas kiss has a certain appeal, I grant you. However, swapping my Trench Mouth for his "gingery, Leicester, veggie disease" is a deal I am not prepared to strike.

Geoff,

I know, I know, I know - but Georgie Boy had much stronger willpower and infinitely more moral character and sense of self-worth than I do.

Vicus Scurra said...

I note that Pamela managed to Schlepp her way over here to read one of the rudest blogs, despite her genteel pretensions, but complains when I ask her to visit someone else.
Reg "lack of a satisfactory diet". There is a clue there, young man, and I am only pointing this out for your own good. There is nothing to be afraid of. I was born in Leicester and became ginger before I became vegetarian. The sheep molesting came later though.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".