**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 6 June 2007

Oops, There Goes My Brain!


The time-limited Mrs Pither is going to the theatre tonight. She will be Pitherless.
It's not that I'm not invited. Sadly, I am. It's not that I dislike the Small Town Metropole/Realto. I do. It's one of the finest not-so-little theatres in Europe - not trendy, not modern, not "Mwa, mwa, daaarling it's to die for". It is Victorian, with gilt here and there, it is cosy and it has proper muppet boxes. My kind of theatre.
No, it's the genre of the production which makes me want to turn up armed to the teeth. I have previously ranted on this blog about another theatrical pet hate of mine - the musical. Well, tonight's little offering is just as fucking bad. It is a farce.
Never was a term coined with such appropriate double meanings. Classic, French farce is bad enough but the post-'70s British variety is just unbelievably fucking awful! They are all the bloody same, be it "Run For Your Trifle", "Oops, There Goes My Colostomy Bag!" or "No Wanking Please, We're Irish". It is the sort of fodder enjoyed by people who think Terry and June was avant garde comedy.
The sight of someone dropping their trousers to reveal long boxer shorts and suspendered socks was only even vaguely risible to me when I was four, let alone now! Scantily clad women I am all in favour of but the wankers behind British farce insist on these ladies spending the entire production hidden in wardrobes or under beds.............and what happens every time these shenanigans are going on? Yes, the fucking vicar calls round! How many bastard times has the vicar called round at your house? The last time I saw ours he put water on my head and I vowed then that our relationship was henceforth over.
To make matters worse, tonight's little number in Small Town doesn't even star Brian Rix! I thought he had to be in it for it to be called a farce? No, the star of the show this evening is none other than fucking Dirty Den from EastEnders! Give me strength. I haven't heard who else is in the cast but no doubt there are thespian giants like the former Milky Bar Kid and some bloke who played "fellow bus passenger" in an edition of Brookside.
No, not for Pither. I am headed in another direction this evening, in more ways than one. While "farce" could also be used to describe what I intend to watch down at The Duck and Gynaecologist, and there will be lots of kissing and running around, it, in fact, goes by the name of association football. England are taking on the might of Estonia in a qualifier for the European Championship. Estonia have, apparently, recalled a couple of blokes who were abroad on holiday and so now have 11 men available to play the game and so it looks like being a bit of a thriller. England will, of course, lose.
Farce, in all its guises, can go to Grantham.

2 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

For the first time in ages you refer to Mrs P as other than the-soon-to-be -ex-Mrs-P. I am very pleased to see this. Has the romance been rekindled? Has your recent conversion to vegetarianism resulted in her seeing the good in you? Or is she just hanging around until your colon unspasticates? Whatever, make sure you welcome her home to a clean house, with the washing up done and a nice cup of tea (preferably herbal). It is so nice to hear about young couples in love.

Barry Lawrence said...

Sadly, Vicus, it is you who is the dreamer. She is the time-limited Mrs Pither only because she is shortly to become the Free-From-Pither fairy whom she was always born to be. If you know of any morally casual, alcoholic, Nottingham Forest season ticket-holding, nymphomaniacs who live over off-licenses then I shall also be happy in my loneliness.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".