**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 20 June 2007

Go To Work On Granny's Knitting?


Q. What's the difference between a mirror in a blind man's home and The Advertising Standards Authority?

A. One is a complete and utter waste of fucking space and the other is a mirror in a blind man's home!

I almost crashed my car this morning (yes, I sponged petrol money off a chum) when I heard on the radio news that attempts to resurrect the famous old "Go To Work On An Egg" advertising slogan had been scuppered by the ASA.

The agency, apparently, had ruled that an egg-a-day at breakfast time was not healthy because it did not consitute a balanced diet. Fucking Hell!!!!! Give me a break, please. These twats have obviously been got at by those heroes of mine, the health Nazis.
I recall the advert from my flukey youth and I don't remember the slogan - dreamt up, some claim, by one of Fay Weldon's former underlings - being "Go To Work On An Egg.....But Don't, Whatever You Do, Have Anything Else, Like Some Cereal, Or A Cup Of Tea, Or Bacon, Or Some Orange Juice Because That Will Really Fuck Things Up And You'll Never Get To Work Because You'll Die From Malnutrition". Wouldn't have had the same ring to it, somehow. No, I don't think anyone ever fucking suggested that eating nothing but eggs for the rest of your life was the way forward. I think the point was that fresh eggs, when they're not battery-produced timebombs dripping with salmonella, are kinda good for you. They contain lots of protein and you need that - especially the veggies of this world.
I had scarcely stopped chewing my foot over this lunacy 12 hours later when I was watching the Devil's Lantern and on came an advert for the breakfast cereal Shreddies.
These I also remember from my childhood and I have to say I quite liked them. The trouble is they are packed with sugar and salt and all sorts of other bits of shite but does the ASA step in to say they can't be advertised? Does it testicles! Does it say they can only be eaten as part of a balanced diet? No!
Worse than that, this advert claimed that Shreddies were not actually mass-produced in some fucking mouse and rat-infested factory griefhole by BO-ridden, nose-picking Aids victims with bloody and gaping wounds but by...............wait for this................a handful of grannies who KNIT them in some chintzy front parlour somewhere!!! Where were the boys and girls at the bastard Advertising Standards Authority when that baby was first aired?
So, to recap, in the world of this country's advertising regulators, suggesting that people would do well to have an egg in the morning is inaccurate and potentially harmful but urging them to wolf down sugar and additive-saturated squares of mass-produced shite could not prove harmful in any way and, furthermore, telling them that they are "knitted by nanas" in their homes is not inaccurate.
I think I'm getting one of my headaches again. Sorry, the organisational afterbirth which is The Advertising Standards Authority can go to Grantham.

5 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

I know that I am as one crying out in the wilderness on this one, Reg, my old kumquat, but you do need to regulate your anger by a more gentle life style. As a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, and being at least 3 times the weight of you, I think I am in a position to point out the fallacy of your argument that just because I don't go round biting chunks out of peoples' legs, there must be some deficiency in my diet.
Now, off you go to the kitchen and ask, politely, that nice Mrs P to make you a bowl of organic porridge. If you are a good boy and control your temper for 5 minutes, she may even put a sultana in it. Make sure it is made with soya milk, and has no salt or sugar.

Barry Lawrence said...

Dearest Vicus,
You have worried me deeply, chum-of-mine. If YOU are three times the size of ME then you must have a specific mass approaching that of a Black Hole!
As to your merciless and relentless campaign to stop me eating cows and to get me on the bus to Lentilsville, may I quote that great orator and thoroughly reasonable and articulate gentleman, The Rev Ian Paisley......."Never, never, never!!!"

Arabella said...

Hurray! Something gets sent to Grantham - my day can begin.

This brings back one of those childhood half-memories: a health visitor was at our house when I was very small and she criticized my mother for giving me and my sister two boiled eggs each for tea - "One is sufficient."
I can see my mom shaking (with fury, I hope). I think she swore a lot and banged things in the
kitchen when the naz...woman left.
Goodness knows why the woman was there....perhaps us being working class was "sufficient".
I continued to receive two boiled eggs. And soldiers.

Arabella said...

Saltless porridge? O. M. G.

Barry Lawrence said...

Hi Arabella,

Your mum should have told the health visitor: "I only give the girls two eggs on the days you call round. That's because the girls then have one egg each and I shove this egg (muffled, straining expletive) HERE and the other egg (more muffled grunting) HERE!!! Sorry, did that hurt?
P.S. Soldiers - the toasted/breaded sort - dipped in a good eggy are, without doubt, one of the finest gastronomic experiences it is possible to have! My bro and I were likewise indulged as kids.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".