**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 16 June 2007

What I Did On My Summer Holidays - By Reg Pither, Aged Four.

Well, that was fun!
I woke up two hours ago on a settee in Big Town East. To my delight, the settee was actually in someone's house, and not a skip (it has been known!)
The settee, it turns out, belongs jointly to the big chum, former sports writing colleague and part-time international rock god I call Ed Straker (on account of his whacky haircut and fondness for collarless jackets), his gorgeous wife Miss Dinamite and their two fantastic-beyond-belief kids, The Big G and Mollie Maguire.
Having established ownership of my bed-for-the-night, the mists have begun to clear and I am starting to piece together the events of the last 48 hours.
It all started at around 7 on Thursday night when I was texted while still at work by the gaffer of my local pub. It was his birthday, he claimed (third this year!), and so he wanted a few selected mutants to call in at "casa mia" to enjoy a tincture and light refreshments. Having made somewhat of a fool of myself by enquiring if "casa mia" was the Spanish restaurant near the pub, I agreed to call round and finally made it from work to the newly-crowned regional pub of the year (seriously) at 9pm. I was skint but was subsidised by said gaffer and my pals - we all pull together in times of crisis, such as when you haven't got enough money to buy lots of beer - and enjoyed a banquet of Monster Munches, Chilli tortillas, the obligatory birthday cake and various types of sausage roll and Indian food left over from a buffet the night before.
Now, I hadn't had a drink all week and so, not only did the ale go to my head somewhat, I decided to have a few nightcaps when I got home at midnight! On to yesterday and I was feeling somewhat the worse for wear in the office. The day didn't really go too well, truth be told, because I distinctly remember that the chief executive paused near my desk and asked everyone around if there was a fire as he could smell smoke. Everyone pointed to me and said "Oh, that's just Reg. It's the cigarette smoke coming off his clothes." Nice!
I ended up working late (again!) and so decided to call in for a beer in Big Town East on my way home. While in a hideous place where "Oops Upside Your Head!" was being boomed out, my mobile rang and it was the chief executive again. I attempted to answer his query but I don't think he was too impressed with the racket in the background and the persistent yelps of the drunken entourage in the boozer. I have a feeling promotion is not a word I will be hearing anytime soon.
That put the tin hat on things for me and so I decided to abandon my plans for the evening, dump my car and call round at Straker's for a night of fun.
That, as they say, is the last thing I can remember in any detail. My head is clearing as time passes and I have already had a game of tennis in the kitchen with Mollie Maguire - 10-9 to her. I objected to the washing machine being "in" but was overruled. I went outside, briefly, into the real world and found that some zealous wasp-type had slapped a parking ticket on my car. That's £30 well spent. Miss Dinamite is, apparently, confined to bed having been somewhat "ill" in the night (the perils of entertaining Pither) and Mr Straker is trundling around, looking constantly at his watch and wondering when the bloody Hell I'm going to go home!
Happy days. Nothing for Grantham today, except bloody traffic wardens.

3 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

What a fine example you set for those two fine children.
I am proud of you.

Barry Lawrence said...

I do try.
Fortunately, I am godfather to two other relatively little ones and so have had to renounce the Devil. I can't make them or any other kids follow me into Hell -it's in the contract.

Arabella said...

I suspect the chief exec will be in receipt of a one-way-ticket at some point....

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".