**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 30 June 2007

Sleepless And Seattle



Artists' impressions of D. B. Cooper and Pither (aka Terry Fuckwit)

It's gone 2am and I can't sleep - even if I wanted to!
I made the mistake of nodding off on the settee after dinner - a common Friday night occurrence - and woke at around midnight. Dragging myself upstairs to bed I found that the Comfydown Feathersleep 675 had been entirely taken over by three of my four dogs and attempts to lift the quilt and squeeze in were greeted by muffled growls and bared teeth.
I stumbled back downstairs, just as the soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither was coming through the front door after HER traditional way of spending Friday nights. Today (sorry, yesterday) was the birthday of one of my godson's as well as the 60th birthday of a very good friend of ours and Mrs P had been to wish both well. Quite what a six-year-old or a pensioner were doing celebrating until the small hours was not explained but STB EW seemed to have had fun and promptly retired to bed.
I was left in the lounge with a cup of tea and the telly, as well as with "the rickety armchair" as, during my brief absence, my alsatian had taken over the settee and greeted my attempts to get back on it with muffled growls and bared teeth.
As I sat there, wondering who the Hell it was who actually paid the mortgage, a documentary came on about Dan (aka D. B.) Cooper. Never heard of him? Well, he was an ingenious cove who made off with $200,000 from a North West Airlines 727 in 1971 after telling the cabin crew in flight that he was carrying a bomb in his briefcase. He demanded four parachutes and the cash when the plane touched down in Seattle and then ordered the pilot to fly to Mexico (haven't you always wanted to do that? Like telling a taxi driver to "follow that car"). The plane duly headed off again for the sunny south with the cash and parachutes on board - he had asked for four, saying the others were for crew members, so that he was guaranteed to get a serviceable one and not one which when you pulled the ripcord you looked upwards to see someone's laundry and a packed lunch flying out.
Somewhere over the Pacific North West, no-one knows where, he leapt out of the plane through the back stairway and was never seen again.
Now, I'm not normally a big supporter of armed robbery, hijacking, demanding money with menaces or crime in general but I say............"Way t'go Dan, way t'go!" What a wizard wheeze! Why didn't I think of that? No-one was hurt, the only people to lose out were the fat cat airline bosses and he instantly created a ripping yarn which has deservedly been passed on and on ever since.
I then sat and seriously considered trying to pull a similar stunt myself the next time I fly abroad. The trouble is, not only do I NOT have that touch of derring do essential for such a heist, bad luck follows me like flies around a cow's arse!
I mean, what could go wrong? Well, for a start, trying to find spare batteries and an alarm clock which work here at Pither Towers, let alone explosives, would be impossible. Then, the briefcase I use for work has a dodgy clasp and so my "bomb" would have fallen out on the 501 bus before I'd even got to the airport. Even if that didn't happen then there would doubtless be some strike by air traffic controllers in Paris which would leave me sitting around the departure lounge for 12 hours with a load of sweaty, drunken, Corfu-bound chavs - and a slowly ticking explosive device!
Say I managed to get on the right plane at the right time, instead of taking off for Washington state we would obviously be diverted to Luton because of a baggage handlers dispute somewhere.
Even if we actually managed to start crossing the Atlantic, I don't have that air of menace and authority needed to get this masterplan off the ground. No? Picture this scenario:

Pither: "Stewardess! I have a bomb in this case - yes, the case which has just come open again - and I want £345 and a parachute."
Stewardess: "The Duty Free trolley will be coming round in about an hour."
Pither: "You don't understand. This is a.......no thanks, I don't want a pillow......or another individual fruit salad.......hold up."
Stewardess: "I know. I'm sorry about that. It was those baggage handlers at Luton."
Pither: "Look, will you just take this sodding note to the pilot?"
Stewardess: "He's very busy just now. Can't it wait until we land?"
Pither: " That wouldn't be ideal for me."
Stewardess: "Shall I get my colleague Rupert to help you? Rupert! Oh Rupert...!"
Pither: "Oh, what's the bloody point! Look, just give me a pillow and another fruit salad and we'll call it quits."
Stewardess: "Happy to help."

As for the trickier parts of D. B.'s stunt, they don't even bare thinking about. Knowing me I'd parachute down into a police station, if the parachute opened at all, or I'd get blown back to Luton by strong cross winds.
No, on second thoughts, I think skyjacking is not for me. Bed, however, is. Dreams of derring do can go to Grantham.

1 comment:

Vicus Scurra said...

Don't give up! Where is that famous Pither spirit? Start off in a small way by hijacking the kid next door's scooter. The six year old, obviously - you can think about the 12 year old if all goes well.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".