**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 29 August 2007

Hopping Mad


"Bet now, bet now, bet now!!!!"


I've just listened to a wireless programme which turned out to be the most pointless, nauseating, foot-gnawing pile of rectal evacuations I have heard since.....well......since the last steaming mound of aural botty droppings it was my misfortune to tune into.
Get this. Some fucking genius at the BBC (there's an oxymoron if ever I wrote one) came up with the idea of getting a panel of complete and utter no-mark fuckwits to consider two historical "things" and decide which of them was the most culturally worthy. Ain't that just Thatchair's (sic) Britain all over? Reducing all that is beautiful, uplifting, spiritual, artistic and socially significant to just commodities, like oil or cornflakes, which can be hogged, logged and flogged? Too much of a leap in logic for you? Well, consider this:
Imagine yourself one of Thatchair's children for a moment, if you will. That will give you a mindset which will enable you to Bastardise Darwinism (almost everybody incorrectly defines the word "fittest" in Chaz's theory) and insist that EVERYTHING HAS to compete against EVERYTHING else, and not just against local and immediate pressures. If everything competes then everything can be ranked in some kind of order. If you have some kind of order you can convert the seemingly ethereal concept of "value" into an empirical measure. Once you've got loads of "things" with different empirical measures what have you got? My child, you have a "market" and markets are where "things" can be bought or sold. This modus operandi allows EVERYTHING to be marketed, from art and nature to beauty and health.
Whereas those of us inoculated against Thatchairism would just marvel at the perfection of, say, a polar bear and a gorilla, both miracles of creation which just "are" and whose relative values it is impossible to judge, the "market" would have us believe that they each have an intrinsic, empirical measure and so, by the reverse of the argument above, are in competition with each other. The fact that one lives in the Arctic, freezes its butt off all year round and eats fish and seals while the other lives in Rwanda and other dwindling sites in Africa, gets piss wet through most months and is vegetarian is neither here nor there.
The uselessness of the market is just as evident when trying to compare and evaluate works of art. Is the Venus de Milo "better" than the Mona Lisa? Is St Paul's Cathedral "more valuable" than the Parthenon? More ridiculously, is The Night Watch by Rembrandt "superior" to Stone Henge?
Sorry, I went off on one there - the plate in my head just shifts from time to time. Where was I? Oh yes, that radio programme. Would you believe, it tried to pit (pardon the pun) Chatterley Whitfield Colliery near Stoke-on-Trent, the world's largest remaining although derelict Victorian coalmine, against Puossin's paintings of The Seven Sacraments (which actually only comprise five paintings, one having been destroyed and the other being in a separate collection). THEY got some dickhead supposed "expert" to give each one a score under various headings, such a local significance, historical importance etc. The pointlessness (this time excuse the irony) of the exercise was highlighted when said dickhead gave them equal marks overall. More waste-of-timery was exhibited by the "prize" on offer to the winner, namely £80 million to be spent either on the purchase of the Poussin works or on restoring the colliery. The only problem was.......there was NO money on offer. It was just an imaginary £80 million!! What's the fucking point in offering a prize which doesn't exist? It's like telling the winner of the men's 100m at the Olympics that there is, in fact, no gold medal for him, it was all just a joke and no-one was watching him run anyway!
Then we come to the panellists asked to give their views on the supposed merits of these competing works of man. One was that hideous, smug, vacuous excuse for a human being (I use the term loosely) Edwina Currie.

Question 2. Evaluate the usefullness to the universe of these two.

Bearing in mind it was "her" fucking Government which closed down all the pits in the first place, the more cynical could have argued that she was a little biased as a judge. Another on the panel was Simon Woodroffe, the millionaire founder of the sushi chain Yo! Sushi (come the Day of Judgement he's going to be able to really fucking impress St Peter, isn't he?). This tosser was invited along to give his views on the business merits of both competitors (see everything argued above). Fuck off!! Currie at one point, would you believe, even said she thought it would be a good idea to have a sushi bar at the colliery!!! I have long argued that if you are a complete fucking idiot (reference: thinking John Major was shaggable, telling the world that one of the industries you are responsible for is shite and could kill customers) then keep quiet - don't open your trap and thereby give the game away immediately!!
You can just envisage the sort of chinless, "daddy's-got-a-Porsche-mummy-won-the-National" young Sloan at the BBC (they're all they employ these days) who came up with this abortion of an idea for a programme. This may seem a little harsh but I am in favour of gassing the fucking lot of them.
National Treasures, the programme was called. Well, like all treasures it should be fucking buried! Failing that, the townsfolk of Grantham fully deserve it.

7 comments:

I, Like The View said...

why do you have a plate in your head? is it Wedgewood?

how did you sustain your leg injury? is that enough questions for one day?

:-)

*girds loins for disappearance of the comment into the ether*

I, Like The View said...

oh, I know I had one more - is Grantham kind of like a Room 101 then? or am I being a bit thick?

(that's two more, sorry)

Arabella said...

Where's Anthony Blunt when you need hime, eh?
Next time you listen to Radio 4, take your temperature before, and then again, after the programme. Let us know the results.

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear ILTV,

Right, to answer them in order:
1. I have a plate in my head to get better reception on my hearing aid.
2. No, it's not Wedgewood - but it is set in antique surroundings.
3. I leave you to choose the correct answer. Was it, (a) Scoring the winning goal in the F.A. Cup final? or (b) Tripping over while coming out of the greenhouse?
4. It's not a bit like Room 101 - it's EXACTLY like Room 101. I had an original idea once but I've forgotten what it was.

Hi Arabella,

I'll take your advice. I think shoving a glass tube up my arse is the only way I will be distracted enough to endure anything like National Treasures again.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Listened - and fumed - as well. Currie even managed a party political for the party which is too embarrassed to admit she's one of them! The whole show was built around the view that the world is a big market and nothing matters more than a human being's value in pounds, pence and euros. Thatcher would have been proud, Major would have stopped selling arms to the Iranians, Blair would have stopped licking his own ego if he/she/it had heard it. Thank you, I've been driving a lot, sleeping little and eating too much sugar.

I, Like The View said...

polar bears are my favourite animals

I, Like The View said...

oh, and the answer to 3 is (a) and you were playing for Nottingham Forrest, if I have my facts correct

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".