**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Friday 17 August 2007

Schools Out - For Ever!


Prize giving day, August 1979.


I received two invitations over t'internet today.
The first was from someone I used to go to school with (with whom I used to go to school? - oh, fuck it, I didn't want to be an English professor anyway!) who somehow got hold of my e-mail address and wrote to ask me to a class reunion. It turns out that it is a little over 28 years since we sheathed our catapults and walked out of the school gates for the last time to take on the world.
Now, only my school - perhaps only my year - could go to the trouble of marking the 28th-and-a-bit anniversary of something! It speaks volumes, I think. Rest assured I shall not be going.
I went to an "institution" which drew its inmates from across the country. The logic behind these dos, therefore, is that they offer you the chance to catch up with old comrades and hopefully stay in touch in the future. Why the fuck would I want to do that? Haven't they worked out that if I haven't been in contact with them since 1979 there is a reason? The reason is I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE THEM AGAIN EVER!! It was bad enough having to sit next to some of them during my formative years. Putting myself through that in adulthood would be more than I could bear. I don't think it is insignificant that number one in the charts when I left school was We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard! I think the full title should have been We Don't Talk Anymore - Ok, Got It?
Why, on God's own earth, would I have a desperate urge to chat again to Greg Ducker - the lad who once, when we sang the symbolic masterpiece Jerusalem in assembly, turned to me and said "I thought Jerusalem was in Egypt"?
Why would I want to catch up on all the gossip with Steve "Brick" Sudlow who, when asked in biology to draw an annotated diagram of either the male or female reproductive system, crayoned an enormous dick and marked it "knob", "balls", "shaft" and "pubes"? (which earned him five marks from the biology teacher - work that fucker out!!)
What would be the attraction of teaming up again with Andrew Barnfather who, when asked in history who was involved in the Peninsula War, said in all seriousness "it wasn't me, I was off sick last week"?
The above is all true, believe me. With the exception of about four blokes, all of my classmates who weren't brain damaged (like those mentioned already) were just plain wankers. I remember bumping into one particularly odious little shit from the Class of '79 in town a few years ago. He gushed on about how well he was doing (obviously) and then thought it would be fascinating to tell me that he lived "in a barn conversion"! What the fuck was I supposed to glean from that scintillating piece of information? All I could think to say was "Oh, I am sorry. I'm sure a council house will come up for you soon".
That's the kind of thing which goes on at these bloody reunions. The only reason for them is for everyone to eye everyone else up and then bullshit about how successful they are. The conversations are all along the same fucking lines:

"What are you driving these days?"
"A car?"
"Yes, but what kind of car?"
"A red one?"
"I've got the GTi 720x. It gives the kind of torque I need and is pretty yummy at the top end."
"I'm sorry. Is there something wrong with you?"

"You lost your hair, then?"
"No, it's over there."
"You're carrying a little excess baggage as well, I see, fnaar, fnaar."
"And you'll be picking your teeth up with a broken arm in a minute."

As I said earlier, if I had wanted to keep in touch with any of them I would have done so.
I have yet to reply to the invitation and, when I do, I think I shall follow Peter Cook's lead. He said, when invited to dinner on a particular date by the odious reptile who is David Frost: "Having consulted my diary I see that I am watching television that evening."

The other invitation I received was to a reunion of people who, like me, worked on and survived a newspaper which is the journalistic equivalent of the Burma Railway. That do I SHALL be attending. I keep in contact with almost all of the escapees and am proud to know them. We shall get drunk, have japes and then go round to the editor's house and take it in turns to piss through his letterbox. Now that's my idea of a night out.
Anyway, in the meantime, school reunions can go to Grantham.

10 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Do I win a prize for spotting the Freudian typo?
Give me £50 + expenses, and I will go to the reunion and pretend to be you. Shouldn't be difficult. I'm not breaking my leg to do it though - I don't do method acting.

Barry Lawrence said...

Go on then, smart bottom. Tell me.
No, you don't win a prize but I am prepared to break your leg to let you empathise fully with what it's like to be Pither.
P.S. Don't forget, I know where you live - and I'm still coming down, once unipedalism is behind me.

garfer said...

I feel the same way about Friends Reunited.

Once a wanker always a wanker.

Barry Lawrence said...

Garfer,
I would have railed against FR as well but there just wasn't space. It IS for the terminally sad. I'd love to be able to edit all the entries. Just post "jail", "dead", "double glazing salesman", "prostitute", "Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard" etc over their profiles.

Betty said...

I thought the idea of Friends Reunited is to get people going through a marital crisis to look up their childhood sweethearts, who they secretly hope are also going through a marital crisis.

One hoity toity little madam I know used to go to annual class reunions (The horror! The horror!) just so she could say afterwards "oh, it's so disappointing. I thought the other people would have Done Something With Their Lives but they've just got married and have boring jobs. At least I've done something with my life."

Barry Lawrence said...

Good God, Betty, that woman sounds like a real oik! I hope you said "You're single, aren't you?" and then raised a knowing eyebrow. You could also have added "I wouldn't call becoming a total arsehole 'doing something' with life!"

Anonymous said...

It's "more than I could bear" not "more than I could bare."
And it's Peter Cook, not Cooke.

Barry Lawrence said...

Well done, Steve.

Anonymous said...

Subbing bill in post!

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

See you at the reunion. . . can I bring the pigs?

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".