**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Friday 24 August 2007

The Precious Gift Of Shite

Spot the difference - see if you can spot the 234,679,453 differences between these two photos.


There is something fascinating about excellence. You are drawn to it, you marvel at it, you are soothed by it but at the same time it energises you. The only trouble with excellence is that it is very rare.
I, however, am very fortunate because I seem to live in a parallel universe where I have doubled my chances of experiencing such emotions because I find the appallingly awful equally stimulating.
True, unadulterated, unmitigated, bona fide shite is as rare as excellence but it is out there if you look hard enough and by way of proof may I recommend you to the American made-for-TV film "Florence Nightingale". I have just watched it on an obscure channel and can honestly say that it touched cinematographic and historical depths I never thought possible.
Pure shite, you see, like excellence requires a touch of genius and the genius of this production centred on its casting and plot. While admitting that my knowledge of the Lady of the Lamp is not extensive, I always believed that her primary claim to fame was her success in treating casualties of the Crimean War. Also, I have seen photos of this supposedly earthbound angel and, at the kindest, I can only say she had a face like a camel sucking a biscuit! Her success with members of the opposite sex was further hampered by the widely held belief that she was a rug muncher!!
Now, either the library was closed or the producers of "Flo - The Movie" just conveniently chose to ignore this basic information. No doubt they thought that the story of a pig ugly dyke with a penchant for first aid was not the stuff of great box office. Instead, they decided to, as New Labour would have done, "sex the tale up a bit". Hence, who is chosen to play the part of walking contraceptive and apparent road accident victim Florence? Why, none other than glamour puss and all round penis-stiffener Jaclyn Smith!!!! I think the step from Charlie's Angels to historical epic could best have been termed "ambitious" for our Jaclyn (why do fucking actors insist on spelling their fucking names in a stupid, pretentious fucking way?). Her attempt at an English accent was interesting, to say the least. She ended up sounding like an Australian on day release.
As to the plot, we did occasionally catch a glimpse of Flo sticking on the odd plaster but essentially it revolved around her love affairs with a catalogue of dashing, English country gents!! Bearing in mind her actual sexual proclivities, she was more likely to have wanted to get into Queen Victoria's voluminous knickers than theirs!!
The dialogue could have ruined the utter shitenosity of this film if it had been in the least bit period but, fortunately, the scriptwriters had resorted to their tried and tested formula for all films supposedly involving England and London in particular. There were, consequently, liberal smatterings of "Aam a gud gel, I am", "Gor blimey, Gawd bless ya guv" and "Strewth, scarper. It's a rum deal an' no mistake".
All in all, this film is festering crap at its very rarest. I know it has to go some way to compare with the unparalleled penile seepage of Holiday on the Buses, the big screen version of Are You Being Served? or Titanic but it was certainly extremely entertaining.
While sticking by my assertion that utter shite is as rare as excellence, American-made historical epics are, in fact, a rich vein for true excrement because the Yanks do history so well, don't you think? Facts are not things which have ever weighed heavily on the consciences of American film makers.
The standard was, of course, set by that odious, neo-Nazi, draft dodging cunt John Wayne in The Green Berets. So you thought the Americans LOST the Vietnam War did you?........WRONG!!!!

Dwarf, alleged racist, never-heard-of-fucking-contraception, drunk superstar Mel Gibson also got his historical knickers in a knot slightly in Braveheart. Bonnie and Clyde
spectacularly failed to tell the actual story of another dwarf (played, obviously, by Warren Beatty), his uniquely ugly sidekick (who else but Faye Dunaway) and their murderous, psychotic and totally merciless rampage across the States.
For historical shite in its most refined and purulent form, however, you should really just plump for ANYTHING involving the Irish.
You know, those brave little farmers with their twiddly-diddly-dee lifestyles who are continually oppressed and savaged by the cruel Brits (NOTE for would-be directors/scriptwriters: Just try not to mention the random slaughter of women, children, pensioners, horses, Catholics as well as Protestants, rabid drug dealing, knee-cappings, punishment beatings, torture or kangaroo courts and summary executions - kinda spoils the image those fucking wankers in Boston and New York need to keep up their funding of same).
On that note, having waved a cheery goodbye to all Irish readers, John Wayne's corpse can go to Grantham but his countrymen's attempts at historical epics shall stay here - they are excellently shite.

9 comments:

I, Like The View said...

I spell my name properly, and I like French films. . . (because I don't like Hollywood much, probably for the same reasons as you, only I've never thought about it)

. . .does that make me pretentious?

(say this in a high pitched voice and I sound just like that nose picking little boy in The Simpsons)

sadly no rubber trousers in my wardrobe or anywhere else, so can't go out dancing tonight; but I promise not to witter on here all evening

Barry Lawrence said...

ILTV,

No, you are not pretentious (and I hope not overly sensitive either).
You are a good egg and so should invest in rubber trousers and get yourself out and about on the town. If you don't, you are still welcome to witter here.

I, Like The View said...

have learned the hard way that there's no point being a sensitive blogger. . .

anyhow - thought you were going to take advantage of a duck and a lady's doctor?

Anonymous said...

Okay, calling Gibson at 5'8" a dwarf is somewhat understandable.
But Beatty (6'2")?

Barry Lawrence said...

Marilyn,

No, no, no, no....."..tell the story of another dwarf....", namely the story of Clyde Barrow (5ft 4ins), played, obviously, by the handsome and tall Warren Beatty. Do you see? It's sarcasm - the effectiveness of which is somewhat diminished when you have to explain it.

Vicus Scurra said...

(Wipes away tear) it was just like reading Barry Norman.

Barry Lawrence said...

Go on, tell me...or Freddie Saxon, Jeremy Celt, Trevor Visigoth or Ernie Pict?

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

No, no, no, I'm not going to get drawn into this one. . . (we know where you live Pither)

Love Mallk

Barry Lawrence said...

Malc,

Ha, ha, ha! It was all just for you, you empty headed, animal foodtrough wiper. Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".