**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 16 August 2007

I Cans't Take N'More!

I am slowly but oh so surely going out of what's left of my mind, what with being laid up, hardly able to move and all-but housebound.
I have caught up on all the reading I can but day upon day of silence, interrupted only occasionally by the sound of a page turning, is soul destroying. That has led me to turn inexorably to the Devil's Lantern and it is sucking out the last vestiges of spirit in me. I no longer "watch" what's "on" the box. I have instead found myself staring, glassy eyed at whatever is flickering on the screen at that particular moment, all the time pondering some great televisual mystery posed by the subject matter. For instance:

1. Why do they put canned laughter on so-called comedy shows? The laughter is recorded, right? Well, why don't they screen the show which prompted the recorded audience to laugh instead of putting on something which just isn't fucking funny!

2. How many bastard episodes are there of The Bill? They must record up to 24 every fucking day! "In the beginning there was The Word - which will be followed by The Bill over on ITV."

3. Why the fuck does ITV feel the need to advertise its news coverage? How does that work? It's the fucking news, for God's sake! "Come and watch our reports on the the hurricane - it's a damn site better than the BBC's poxy earthquake!"

4. Why are programmes recorded at Volume Level A while the ads are recorded at Level Z? You can hardly hear a bloody word of what's on so you turn up the volume and then, just as you've got comfortable, the commercial break comes on and some twat starts screaming at you about bog cleaner!

5. Does anybody outside Millwall actually buy Diamonite jewellery off the shopping channel?

6. Is there something in the contracts dished out to presenters of the shopping channels or those bloody awful early hours quiz-call shows which stipulates that they have to be, or at least act as if they are, limp-wristed, lisping, chase-me-bet-you-can't gay bar-loiterers?

7. Who decided that the news is better if its read standing up?

8. Is someone seriously trying to kid us that the ridiculously vacuous and Barbie-esque Lara Lewington who does the weather on Channel 5 ever managed to finish a Janet and John book, let alone go on to get a degree in climatology?

There is more, much more, but as Scott said, I don't think I can write any more. All of the above can go.

8 comments:

Arabella said...

You need to be doing something with your hands.
No not that. Something that occupies your brain at the same time.
Time to take up knitting. Can the STBEMP bring you a goody bag from the wool shop?

Vicus Scurra said...

Yes, as Arabella says, do something with your hands, otherwise you might find yourself putting your foot through the telly, and that might hurt.
I hope that this helps.

Barry Lawrence said...

Hi Arabella,

It's certainly an idea. Yes, I think knitting is the future. Then, when I get bored and fed up with the telly, I can stick the knitting needles in my eyes!

Vicus,

I'm already deficient to the tune of one in the leg department as it is. Knitting seems to be a sad but inevitable end to my days.

Anonymous said...

I've told you before, you need to get pissed. And, as you know VERY well, I'm the man who can make this happen for you (or to you). Now shall I call a fucking taxi or what, you silly old bastard?

Kiss kiss.

BGT

Arabella said...

Oh, really push the boat out and do corking instead!

Barry Lawrence said...

Arabella,

I have, as you know, already tasted the emotional highs and lows which come with collecting corks. I don't think I can stand that rollercoaster again.

BGT,

I have been drinking with you before, don't forget. At least in front of the TV my pants are dry and I do not wake up to a prison breakfast.

Arabella said...

This kind of corking, silly.

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/kids/corker.shtml

Barry Lawrence said...

Sorry. Don't forget, though, I'm in my mid-40s and there is a history of heart disease in my family. I don't want to push myself to the very boundaries of excitement and risk an attack! Have you seen my collection of corks, though? Now that's a thrilling, man's hobby!

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".