**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 11 January 2007

Love in a Tropical Climate.




Crisis! Wet crisis! A crustacian crisis, that's wet!
I suppose it was always on the cards. It's just that, somehow, you never think it will happen to you. Well, it happened to me today and I have only just finished putting matters right. Let me explain.
I have a pet lobster. Well, technically he's a crayfish (same thing), an Australian blue crayfish to be precise. He's called Reg - Reg Cray-fish, get it? When I decided to name him after one of the infamous London gangland killers The Krays my soon-to-be ex-wife imposed one condition after asking the following, superb question: "Which of the Krays was the violent one?" I tried to explain that was a little like trying to name the naughtiest of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse but we agreed that Ron was probably the most socially-challenged, having been declared criminally insane and ending his days in Broadmooor. "Well, I don't want him named after the violent one then," she concluded. So, Reg it was. After all, all Reggie Kray did was stab Jack "The Hat" McVitie to death through the eye.
Anyway, Reg the crayfish, like his eponymous dad, is a strange lad with some strange habits. About two months ago he fell in love - with the thermometer in his tank! (that's Reg the crayfish, not me.) It is a chunky, two-inch-diameter digital device (the thermometer, not the tank.....hang on, I'm getting confused now) and is normally stuck on the side of the tank, high up, by a rubber sucker. One day Reg scaled the tank, took it off and spent the rest of his time wandering round with it on display, proudly clutched ahead of him in his pincers. This bizarre behaviour continued and it became a focus of amusement at Pither Towers. Indeed, friends would often call round just to see Reg and his beloved promenading.
About a month ago, Reg's feelings took the inevitable step forward and he began a more physical relationship with his temperature-sensitive other-half by dragging the thermometer at nights into the cave where he sleeps. The pair would emerge the following morning, only to vanish again at nights to no doubt consumate their love (in whatever ways it is possible for a crayfish to screw a thermometer!)
I was happy for him. He was settled. He had found love and he was enjoying the delights of sex.
This week, however, a problem arose. I went to feed Reg this afternoon but he was nowhere to be seen. Then it occurred to me that I had not seen him yesterday, nor on Tuesday. In fact, I couldn't recall when I had see him last. I began a panicked search of the tank and eventually discovered where he was and what had happened. Reginald, bless him, had dragged the thermometer into his cave as per usual but had got it firmly wedged inside there, wedged so tight in fact that he couldn't get out!
I had to resort to some percussive maitainance and smash the cave open to get him and his lover out. A new cave has now been bought for the lad but I'm afraid I've had to curtail his nocturnal habits for a while. He will get his love back soon, but I am going to keep a closer eye on them from now on.
Randy lobsters can join the queue at the gates of Grantham, I think.

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".