**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 21 January 2007

Get A Man In?

Gratuitous, I know, but it seems appropriate.

From now on I want everyone to call me Regina. It's not a change I envisaged having to make but I fear it has been forced on me. You see, I am having grave doubts about my gender and believe I may well actually be a woman - well, more specifically, a lesbian - trapped in the body of a hideously disfigured, middle-aged man.
The classic stereotype would have us believe that women tend to enjoy and be pretty competent at cooking, go "awww, how cute" every time they see a furry animal, find endless talk about football boring and constantly clean things around the house. They are supposed to blub at sad films, know absolutely nothing about cars, find talk of them even more boring than football and be useless at heavy duty DIY.
The male stereotype, on the other hand, is someone who does no cooking (unless it is their job) or is hopeless at it, feels the need to reach for an air rifle when he sees a fluffy bunny, adores nothing more than pouring over football facts and figures and finds the concept of cleaning the house an anathema. He only blubs at films where a woman is about to take her clothes off when the director chooses to cut to another scene, loves and talks endlessly about cars and is a practically-minded expert at DIY.
The artist formerly known as Reg fits very much the female model (apart from my finding the cutting of gratuitious sex scenes deeply upsetting) and it is my aptitude for the last distinguishing feature, DIY, which has finally convinced me that God has been unkind to me in the gender department.
I am absolutely fucking shite at DIY! It was something I tried to put to the back of my mind but a discovery yesterday made me squeeze out of the Ikea self-assembly closet, admission-to-ability-wise, and face up to the fact.
Some time ago I fitted some shelves in the lounge and was quite proud of my handiwork. They have no visible brackets and are kept up by metal poles drilled through the middle of them and through the wall (Lack shelves from Ikea, for those even vaguely interested). There was only one hiccup during their installation - my nextdoor neighbour came round to helpfully inform me: "You do realise your drill has come through my fucking dining room wall, you pillock?" I managed to pacify him and was left to admire my efforts. I could feel testosterone surging through my veins. I was A MAN! I felt like making a fire in the garden by rubbing sticks together and then dragging my soon-to-be ex-wife and a side of venison into a cave to celebrate my masculinity.
All was fine until yesterday when I did a major Spring clean around the house (see feminine traits above) and decided to rearrange things in the lounge slightly (life on the edge, you see. No net! I tweak the nipples of fear and slap the testicles of retribution!) The bottom of the three shelves I had put up, until then, carried a handful of DVDs and nothing else. I decided to put a selection of magazines alongside them - mistake! As I did so there was an ominous "creak" and I turned to see the shelf bend down by about 30 degrees and shed DVDs and magazines down the back of the telly! Oh bollocks! (I'm not sure if the photograph illustrates the extent of the sag but, believe me, it is there.)

That shelf will now only carry about four items, each of which has to have a coefficient of friction slightly higher than rubber-coated granite if it is to stay in place.
This disaster is typical of my ventures into the world of do-it-yourself. I once decided, when I had a Mini, to bleed the brakes myself. I went into town to buy a manual (about £20, which was very expensive at the time) and a brake-bleeding kit from Halfords. Back home I read the manual, a paragraph-at-a-time, to discover that I needed a special spanner to loosen the top bleed nipple (juvenile giggle). Back into town to buy one then, back home, I discovered that I needed a different, miniature spanner to loosen the bottom nipple (still makes me snigger). Into town AGAIN and back home, then to work. After finishing I experienced the same rush of testosterone as outlined earlier. I got into the car, drove off down the road, approached the T-junction at the end and so applied the brakes - and promptly careered straight across into a lamppost! The bill for the spanners, brake-bleeding kit and repairs to the radiator, bumper, front grill and one headlight came to around £300. I could have got a garage to bleed the brakes for around £30. You would have thought I learned my lesson then!
There are scores of other examples of my DIY fuckwittedness but I think you get the picture.
Anyway, gender confusion and DIY shall, henceforth, be the sole preserve of Grantham.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

After a rather heavy tray making session in occupation therapy the people who look after me have allowed me to contact you further.
They say I'm making real progress and could be allowed an 'away day' in the near future.
Would you like me to come and straighen your wonky shelf as a kind of 'get-together'?
I'm not normally allowed sharp objects without the proper supervision so there could be a bit of paperwork to fill in.
I would be able to bring my own tomato juice.
I've also got some good ideas how you could put those corks to good use.

Barry Lawrence said...

Glad to hear the therapy is coming along well - you may soon be allowed cutlery and shoelaces again.
You are more than welcome to pop round but I have a feeling your psychiatrist will not approve - don't forget, I was partially to blame for you being taken away in the first place.
Thanks for the offer of advice on the corks. Can I spoil your day? If it involves my arse, forget it!
PS. Remember, every day, in every way, you're getting better and better.

Anonymous said...

Can I borrow the Doctor Who CD on your wonky shelf?

And, to add to the gender confusion you are suffering, your breasts are bigger than the jugs on most women...

Love Big Ears

Barry Lawrence said...

You're not too big for a smack, you know.

Anonymous said...

"Oh lighten up you stuffy get!!"

And the Doctor Who CD?

Barry Lawrence said...

It's great, you would love it - ONLY YOU HAVEN'T GOT IT!

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".