**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 14 January 2007

A Small Matter of a Fight.

I hardly ever post three times in one day but this is far too precious to leave until another time. Besides, if I don't post it now I will forget about it.
I have chums who work in the theatre. Neither they, nor the theatre involved, can be named, for obvious reasons. However, they told me this afternoon of the antics at a recent after-show party which just have to be made known to the Pither public.
The cast of the annual panto decided to have a bit of a bash when one of their number celebrated a birthday. I can't say what the panto was, suffice to say that it involved one beautiful, black-haired woman and seven seriously-below-average-height men.


Anyway, everything was going swimmingly at the after-show birthday bash, apparently, until the drink started flowing a little too freely. Several revellers then took it upon themselves to start patting the below-average-height cast members on the top of the head as they danced, a la Benny Hill with his little, balding sidekick. Dropping to the knees and boogeying followed, again to the understandable annoyance of the vertically challenged thespians. Eventually it all became too much. The SEVEN vertically challenged guys started cutting up rough - as I would have done in their situation - and a virtual fight ensued. I would have given not only my right but also my left arm to have been there to snap a photo of the mini-mayhem.
My unnamed chum also told me that this was not the only Brian Ricks-style farce to accompany a staging of this production at the theatre. He told me that one year the cast included six "dwarfs" and one "midget" who made up the chums of the dark-haired beauty. There is a difference between "dwarfs" and "midgets" - dwarfs are congenitally small, midgets are just smaller than average. The result was that the "dwarfs" started picking on the slightly taller "midget" throughout rehearsals and the shows. I can only imagine what was said during the tirades. "Hey, Lofty, give us a song", "Oy, Longfellow, Hi Ho!!!" or "What's the weather like up there, odd-one?". It's too bizarre to even contemplate.
The upshot of all this? Well, I think oversensitive dwarfs have to go to Grantham.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop living in the past and think about the future. Thatcher may have had her bad points but she was elected 3 times!! Whatcha going to do? set up a blog saying I hate Britain because you elected her.

Get a grip man! You are way out of date!

Anonymous said...

The above can't even blog in the right place, if I could just re al the lttrs on this kybrd I wud hve something to sy

Love Grumpy

To all the grumpy gits out there this is a bit of fun and Grantham must have had a humour bypass

Barry Lawrence said...

1. "May have had her bad points"!!!!! Yeah, like Peter Sutcliffe "wasn't perfect"!
2. "Elected three times" - the biggest proportion of the vote she EVER got was 30 per cent - that means that at the peak of her reign of terror 70 per cent of this country DIDN'T want her.
3. "You elected her"!!! Me?? Have you actually read any of this fucking blog?
4. Why set up a blog saying "I hate Britain" when I don't? I just hate Thatcher. Again, try reading this blog.
5. "Way out of date" - yeah, like all those anachronistic people in this country who still hate Thatcher (there are millions and millions of us) and also hate Pol Pot (30 years ago), Idi Amin (35 years ago), the Nazis (70 years ago), Lucrezia Borgia (526 years ago) and Judas (1,970 years ago)!!
I have a feeling you are one of those "young people" who seem so popular in this country today. Never forget our history or we are destined to repeat it.
PS. Thanks for reading some of this blog, anyway, and having an opinion.

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Anon,

Thank you for your support - I shall let you have it back when it's been washed.

Anonymous said...

So is Anon No.1 suggesting we scrap History lessons in our schools?
And Thatcher isn't really history anyway because:
(a) She is still alive (those obits sitting in our computer files are itching to get printed!)
(b) The effects of her reign will live on for decades.
Ask the families of those who died during the Falklands War (both British and Argentinian) if she is just a part of our history.
Ask all those who lost their jobs during her time in office if they ever recovered from the knock on effects (how many families broke up, how many homes were lost etc).
Fucking hell, the bitch even stopped free milk for kids at school!!

And winning three elections isn't necessarily the sign of a great, worthy leader. Just as Tony Blair...

Peace & Love to all non-Thatcherites,
Big Ears

Barry Lawrence said...

Cheers Ears...........I really couldn't have put it better myself.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".