**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Tuesday 9 January 2007

It's That Time - It's Tooth Hurty.

I am being a brave and tough little soldier - but I am unwell. I have toothache.
It's one of those big beggars at the back. Not a wisdom tooth, one of the ones right in front of them, on the right-hand side. "'Ere, ook, can oo ee it?"
I have been dosing up with painkillers but this can't go on. Something will have to be done. That means bearing one of the things I dread and loathe most in life - a trip to the dentist's!
I am not in any way scared of seeing the dentist, as many people are! No, that is not the problem. Indeed, I am approching my half century and have never had a filling in my life and, while I have had a couple of extractions over the years to make room for jostling among the chaps, I have never experienced a knee on my chest in the dentis't's chair or any real pain. I do, as it happens, have a problem with my gums receeding as my age advances. It's like the old Tommy Cooper gag. "My teeth are fine but my gums have got to come out." Still, the recession is now in check so I have nothing to fear.
No, the problem I have is with the dentist himself. I transferred to him a few years ago after the dentist I had seen since I was a little boy went private and started referring to me as "a client". My new chap is a really nice guy, at heart, and he does National Health Service work while most of the other money-grabbing gnasher Nazis have turned profit maximisers.


The trouble with my new man is that he is so........well......bloody full of beans. Pither is not, by nature these days, a natural athlete, hewn out of solid granite and with a ravenous appetite for life's thrills. That is where the root (pardon the pun) of the problem lies. My dentist, on the other hand, is fit, enthusiastic, healthy and glowing with inner-vitality, despite being a good five years older than me. Hell, he even has a glossy coat! He spends his weekends either running marathons (for charity, of course), mountaineering, cycling or parachuting (seriously). He even has photos and Press clippings on the wall to prove it all. Jesus, on a Saturday morning he has probably run and cycled up K2 and then parachuted back down again before I have rolled over in bed and lit my first fag.

You know the sort?

He is also into "alternative" treatments, notably acupuncture, hypnosis and aromatherapy (for which he, of course, also has hundreds of certificates plastered around the walls) and no doubt spends his evenings in the lotus position on top of the wardrobe, surrounded by scented candles and chanting priests, before retiring to spend the night breathing pure oxygen in a hermetically sealed bag!
He always bounds into the room, over to where you are lying prostrate in the chair, with a ridiculously cheery "HELLO, how are we? What a simply lovely day." The man positively exudes adrenaline and reeks of ozone. Then, the worst part. He asks you what you have been up to lately and follows that by detailing HIS recent achievements. I usually say something like: "Not much. Went to the pub last Thursday, bought some new drawing pins at the weekend, had a bath on Sunday then just watched telly." His list is fucking ridiculous. "Oh, well Jacasta and I completed the Paris-Dakar Rally on Saturday morning, scaled Anaperna for lunch then invented a cure for Aids in the afternoon before little Tamsin, Blanche and I swam the Channel. Then, on Sunday................." Oh God, give me a break. It's not a good idea to say "is there any chance you could bugger off and die?" to a man who is, seconds later, going to be messing in your mouth with knives, hammers and drills. You are often in pain already when you go to see him but he leaves you making you think that you actually died five years ago.
I shall have to go to see him. I have no choice. My dentist is a nice man, after all, but he's got to go to Grantham. Sorry.PS. Don't tell him I wrote this.

PPS. Wanna know what a real dentist should be like? Paste this into your browser and empathise (thanks Billy)..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN68WK4_YfI

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this chap myself - wonderful practitioner. I was really pleased with the way he rebuilt his career after all the bad publicity he got following that "Marathon Man" nonsense in the tabloids. I'm still surprised he never took the author to court. Still, no smoke without fire, I suppose.

You may like to be reassured by the fact that the nerves in the big teeth at the back are amongst the least sensitive in your body, and it's just the dilation of blood supply to them during surgery that causes the psychosomatic symptoms of increased pain and sensitivity while the work's actually being done. Something to cheer you up whilst in the chair.

Best wishes
Lance

Barry Lawrence said...

"Dilation of the blood supply" my fucking arse! Why is it hurting now, then? It hurts as much as when you shit a bull - or bullshit, as it's otherwise known.
As for my dentist, he assuresw me he was not involved in the Marathon Man business. All he will say about his past is that he worked in a camp in Germany during the war. I think it must have been Butlitz.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Reg - I didn't mean to imply that you're not suffering now. I was just explaining that the INCREASED pain that you'll experience during the surgery isn't real, just imaginary. So think about that when you hear the whir of the drill and I'm sure it will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN68WK4_YfI

Lance

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".